Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Mon, Aug 26, 2019 5:38am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 10, 2018 9:54am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Hello all,

I've taken a break from playing for a few years (shame on me; career and a kid will do that to you!) and am slowly getting back up to speed playing. I've played for many years but have never really crafted my lead playing. I've been on a huge 80's kick lately and love some tasty 80's leads.

I want to challenge myself and finally learn all the notes on the fretboard, all the basic scales/modes (as well as understanding what a mode is and how it relates to a scale), and learn how to apply that to my playing. I'm not necessarily interested in learning to sight read, just the theory that relates to playing.

I basically want to understand how the scales work, where they come from, and how the modes derive from them.

I know there are tons of books out there, but any recommendations would be very helpful. I'm also not opposed to learning online.

thanks!

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 31, 2019 5:01pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Are you human?: 951
Allan Holdsworth talks a lot about this kind of thing. He has a book called 'Just for the Curious' that might be what you're looking for.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 01, 2019 9:21pm 
Rock God

Are you human?: 951
The Guitar Grimoire series is really good. Check out some of Rick Beato's intro to theory vids on Youtube. He did a good job of laying out the basics and explaining it clearly in a way that makes sense. Get a grip on the concepts with stuff like his videos and then find a good book and just geek out on it for a while. It will start to fall into place.

Good transactions with: Juggernaut, Daavvt, gbsmusic, reverymike, zewango, Ancient Alien, RACKSYSTEMS, moltenmetalburn, lolzgreg, tlingen, Chris O, guitarded_1, Findthetone, King Guitar, dual lead, axegod8185, dooredge, OUTLAW1969, mniel8195, Dale B, Crunchtime