Ways to "spice up" drop D?

Blitzie

I'm bored as hell with guitar at the moment. Maybe "bored" isn't the right word, but I keep going back to the same chords and sequences and it's really limiting my enjoyment of playing. I know that I should learn a bunch of new chords shapes and scales and such but that really isn't going to help me get over being "bored". I'm not striving to be a great player, I just want to be able to come up with stuff I enjoy hearing/playing.

I'm a really big fan of bands like Opeth and Tool and I'd really like to try and incorporate some of their techniques into my noodling.

Any ideas? Anything to get me inspired?

These powers boost in-game variables similar to strength and agility, for example, which is to point out that in the long run leads to powering-up or perhaps leveling up your persona.

How is your standard tuning playing? Maybe try getting out of drop D and play standard tuning, half step down. It's commonly used and is bit sludgier than standard. Try using something like Best Practice to change the pitch of your favorite songs down a half and play along. It's just a suggestion to do something different with the songs you like.

Buster_Lee":3md3wbj9 said:
How is your standard tuning playing? Maybe try getting out of drop D and play standard tuning, half step down. It's commonly used and is bit sludgier than standard. Try using something like Best Practice to change the pitch of your favorite songs down a half and play along. It's just a suggestion to do something different with the songs you like.

Yea man, change it up. Its a good refresher,

I started in D standard. for years then went to drop c for like 7 years. When i get "bored" I tune back up to D standard or more recently I have tunes to Drop B flat (A#) and it sounds great and makes things fresh.

B-F#-B-F#-A#-D# (or C-G-C-G-B-E)

Takes a bit to figure out but the lower voicing of the low E, A, D strings and the higher (or normal) or the G, B, E really allow you to have some great sounding chords and some interesting runs as well.

I have to agree with some of the other posts here . . . . I have all my axes tuned to Eb then drop D. Thick as a brick and really opened up new ideas. I am a songwriter and the textures are very inspiring. I have another custom built tuned to Bb and it sounds like a pipe organ clean and a monster truck with overdrive.

As noted in the other posts, you should be feeling pretty stale in standard tunings before you mix it up with de-tunings. I was a human juke-box in standard with over 500-600 tunes off the top of my head and could gig out 3 sets with most cover bands with no rehearsal. Exploring the new tonalities was a big wake-up call for me. Hope this helps.

Back