Chastain 827: ?

crankyrayhanky

Chastain released an album in 1987 with an instrumental tune called 827
The guitar that enters and for the first 49 seconds is playing a sclae that I have never figured out but would love to...plus it sounds like a great exercise!

Anyone able to figure this out? I saw him live back then multiple times and pretty sure he stayed in a box and didn't do his usual fretboard gliding. I love this player- any help appreciated!

^Thanks!
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar ... 0&choice=1

Curious, how do you know? Can you pick that off by ear?

What position would you play it in? I guess it has to be 10th? That looks a bit awkward... I know Chastain has done some strange tunings to accommodate songs and make them sound unique- do you think he did a bizarre tuning on this one? Maybe he sharped the B string>C to make it an easier pattern? Probably good practice to try it in standard regardless, but he is so flawless it is intimidating

The left hand shape isn't very hard actually, but the picking pattern is weird because he ends the phrase on the same note he starts the phrase with so it's a little awkward. At least it sounds like he's starting and ending on the same note. It's hard to tell because it sounds like he doubled it.
|----------------------------18-20-21-20-18-------------------------------------------------------18-20-21-20-18-----------------------------|
|-------------------18-20-21----------------21-20-18-------------------------------------18-20-21----------------21-20-18--------------------|
|----------17-18-20----------------------------------20-18-17-------------------17-18-20----------------------------------20-18-17-----------|
|-17-18-20----------------------------------------------------20-18-17-17-18-20----------------------------------------------------20-18-17--|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

That helps! I didn't think he was playing that high up, but I'm awful at picking stuff off. He may have put a harmonizer on it, he seems to do that a lot...This will be fun to tackle, much appreciated

Back