Lets see who can explain this..

A

Anonymous

Playing over a mixolydian backing track, in this case its G mixolydian.

Besides the ones I usually use.. major, minor pent, G dorian and G mixolydian,

C minor pent seems to work as well. I actually really like how it works with it.

Why ? For whatever reason I cant seem to see why thoeretically. The only thing I s keep thinking is that its the Parallel C minor to C major ??

Doesn't sound correct to me. If the parent scale of G Mix is C Maj (where you can essentially play the C maj scale over a G Mix chord progression), you can't play a C minor scale over the top of it. The flat 3rd will clash with it.

G minor contains the b3 and that works. Both M3 and b3 work within a Mixolydian progression.

DICKROSE":2eyyj3xh said:
Playing over a mixolydian backing track, in this case its G mixolydian.

Besides the ones I usually use.. major, minor pent, G dorian and G mixolydian,

C minor pent seems to work as well. I actually really like how it works with it.

Why ? For whatever reason I cant seem to see why thoeretically. The only thing I s keep thinking is that its the Parallel C minor to C major ??
Its because you are superimposing the 5th of the melodic minor when you play a cmin scale over g mixolydian (G7) chord. Lesson of the day :D

Major scale with a flat 6 and 7. The minor and major 3rds can be interchanged for flavour...all great players do it. :rock:

Back