Difference in simulation quality between VB-101 and LIVE

City Hunter

Hello everybody!

I know the differences in Outputs/number of slots/available FXs etc.

I've also learned that the LIVE has a reactive loadbox what is actually kind of superior to the resistive loadbox of the VB-101 (but I've also read that this disadvantage of the VB-101 was fixed).

The question:
Which unit sounds better/more realistic?

I've seen the units have different converters with the LIVE running "only" at 92kHz instead of 192kHz like the VB-101. Does this mean the VB-101 is the better one?

Thanks for any help!

Hi City Hunter,

the VB-101 is still the highest grade product in our catalog.

I will post samples of the same signal sent to the 2 units with the same parameters, but some parameters (overload and variphi) are not present in the Live, so the possibilities and the overall quality of the VB-101 stays superior.

Salut guillaume!

Thanks for your helpful and quick reply! These samples would be great!

So if you disregard the possibility of overload and variphi you mean the VB-101 still sounds better than the LIVE using the same parameters?

Merci bien!

Well, the Live was design to sound close to the VB-101, but components quality, even if it's very good in the Live, is a little under the quality in VB-101. So, obviously, some thing will be missing in the Live. But for most people, as the audience won't notice, it's not that important.

As we are on studio grade components, the difference between two excellent analog and digital designs will be important for some people (especially when it comes to studio work). But for stage/live playing purpose, I think the Live is a good value.

The overall quality on the live is close to what you would find in 1200$ soundcards for example, so even if it's not ultimate like in the VB-101, it is still high-grade design for the guitar market.

sysexguy":m1vj107w said:
The output is balanced on a TRS 1/4" jack

Andy

Just splitting hairs. My wedge and board would like to see XLR. Simply need to get a different cable. It was just a wish for V.2 already, ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Actually a LOT of guitar players were worried about the XLR on the VB-101, because most of the consumer mixers can't handle XLR with line level (only mic level, and jack for line). So there is no perfect solution (apart from having both, of course).

Maybe the simplest solution would be a jack-XLR adapter so you don't need a specific cable for the machine.

guillaume_pille":16yx6p9g said:
Actually a LOT of guitar players were worried about the XLR on the VB-101, because most of the consumer mixers can't handle XLR with line level (only mic level, and jack for line). So there is no perfect solution (apart from having both, of course).

Maybe the simplest solution would be a jack-XLR adapter so you don't need a specific cable for the machine.

:thumbsup:

I will post samples of the same signal sent to the 2 units with the same parameters, but some parameters (overload and variphi) are not present in the Live, so the possibilities and the overall quality of the VB-101 stays superior.

I'm willing to be that when I get my Torpedo Live unit into the big studio this summer for a contract that I am completing for one of the bigger animation companies, no one will be able to tell the difference between the two units......especially with some independent cab IRs that I have. :thumbsup:

PBGas : an option would be to use the TORPEDO Live for touring and as a source in the studio un combination with the PI-101 WoS. That's what I recommend to "budget" studio (I hope this works in english, excuse my french ^^).

Well the VB-101 with the 2.0 update just widen the gap between the two units but both are amazing and one of the best buys i have done.

Back