Torpedo Live - Two Outs?

pjrake

Is there a way to use the Torpedo Live with one Line Out to the FOH and another Line Out to my "personal" monitor (wedges)? In other words, similar to how the guys with Axe-FX II are doing it in a live setting, but here it'll be the Torpedo Live with an amp.

Thanks!

PJ

Hi pjrake,

well I see a few options:

1- the simple one is to buy a line splitter that you plug after the Live Line out, send one signal to the FOH and the other to your monitor.

2- if the FOH or your monitor can use an S/PDIF signal, the S/PDIF and the Line out carry the same sound simultaneously;

3- I do not recommend this one, but in the mean time it could work: use the line for the FOH and the headphones out to the monitor. Be careful with the volume of the headphones out, it should work.

4- if you use an amplifier and you want only your guitar sound into the monitor, you may consider using a small 1X12 guitar cabinet and plug it to the THRU output of the Live. This way the guitar cabinet is your personal monitor, you can use a stand to make it aim at your face, like a wedge (sorry if this is not correct english, I shouldn't work on saturday night ^^). We have a lot of guitar player that use this option on stage, to keep the "feeling" of the guitar cab.

Well those are the option that come immediately to my mind, maybe other can think to a better solution.

guillaume_pille":2nhvfvc9 said:
Hi pjrake,

well I see a few options:

1- the simple one is to buy a line splitter that you plug after the Live Line out, send one signal to the FOH and the other to your monitor.

2- if the FOH or your monitor can use an S/PDIF signal, the S/PDIF and the Line out carry the same sound simultaneously;

3- I do not recommend this one, but in the mean time it could work: use the line for the FOH and the headphones out to the monitor. Be careful with the volume of the headphones out, it should work.

4- if you use an amplifier and you want only your guitar sound into the monitor, you may consider using a small 1X12 guitar cabinet and plug it to the THRU output of the Live. This way the guitar cabinet is your personal monitor, you can use a stand to make it aim at your face, like a wedge (sorry if this is not correct english, I shouldn't work on saturday night ^^). We have a lot of guitar player that use this option on stage, to keep the "feeling" of the guitar cab.

Well those are the option that come immediately to my mind, maybe other can think to a better solution.

Thanks for the reply. Getting my unit this week and hopefully will be ready to gig with it in a few weeks. I have a FR wedge, so based on my options, this is what I'm considering (please let me know if I'm on the right track:)

1. Splitting my signal: one to the FOH and the other to my wedge. Can I use this DI box from Radial (http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/jdi.php) to run the XLR out to the house PA and the THRU to my wedge? The reason I'm thinking of using a DI box is to limit the work the soundguy has to do. He can simply "unplug" the mic cable (that he'll use to mic the cab) and just plug it into the DI box. Since the Torpedo Live has a line out only, I'm thinking this would be the best solution for me.

2. Option two would probably not be an option for me since we have different soundguys every night and would be difficult to run.

3. I probably wouldn't want to mess with the headphones out to a powered wedge.

4. Thought about this, but the main reason of getting a Torpedo Live was to get rid of my huge 412 cab (or even the 212). In addition, I would have to tame the amp's volume, which in my case would defeat the purpose of this. I'm trying to get a quiet stage sound and have the FOH do all the work.

So it looks like my option would be "1" - to split the line signal. If the DI box is not a good choice for me, what would be a high quality line splitter I can use onstage?

Thanks!

PJ

Can I use this DI box from Radial (http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/jdi.php) to run the XLR out to the house PA and the THRU to my wedge?

I don't know this product, but from what I can see on the website, there is only one output (the XLR one), the THRU is an input.

A line splitter is quite a simple product, the main trick is to isolate the ground of the PA from the one in your wedge. A simple Y-cable could work, but it is safer to do it properly. I think Palmer has this kind of product (PLS-02), in high quality you should take a look to Little Labs or Lehle products for example. Radial has a rack line splitter but this is a little "too much" for your use in my opinion.

if you are into DIY, check this schematics from geofex:

humfree2.gif

guillaume_pille":1dnfnv61 said:
Can I use this DI box from Radial (http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/jdi.php) to run the XLR out to the house PA and the THRU to my wedge?

I don't know this product, but from what I can see on the website, there is only one output (the XLR one), the THRU is an input.

A line splitter is quite a simple product, the main trick is to isolate the ground of the PA from the one in your wedge. A simple Y-cable could work, but it is safer to do it properly. I think Palmer has this kind of product (PLS-02), in high quality you should take a look to Little Labs or Lehle products for example. Radial has a rack line splitter but this is a little "too much" for your use in my opinion.

if you are into DIY, check this schematics from geofex:

humfree2.gif

Thanks for taking the time to respond, this is awesome!

I will look at the splitters you mentioned.

Best,

PJ

Here's a affordable solution that is designed for balanced line level http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-b ... l-splitter
sp1x3ll.jpg

About $100 at most places, if you don't need the groundlifts/isolation, their SPLIT6 is about $60

If we're following the axe crowd ( :confused: :LOL: :LOL: ) many of the FRFR's available have an extension thru XLR out, here's the ever popular QSC K10 (which was stellar for us at Bass Player Live...we held our own against the 8x10's of our neighbours, believe it or not).

1600-K10_rear.jpg

By using TRS to XLR to the monitor and the extension out to FOH, the only extra accessory would be a ground lift xlr-xlr cable or minibox if required, typically less than $10
31MvdXrU0bL._SL500_.jpg

Andy www.diffusion-audio.com

Thanks so much!

Looks like that Whirlwind Line Splitter might be the way to go.

I'm seriously considering using IEM on stage instead. Might post on the main page to get tips from users who go this route. It would eliminate the need for a monitor too.

PJ

Back