C.A.B. vs. Live for 5150III 50w head.

matt

Since the 5150III 50watt head is tube power the logical choice would be the Torpedo Live for the loadbox. However, the 5150III mini has a unique feature in that you can use the preamp out/fx send without a speaker connected.

(confirmed by Howard Kaplan of Fender/EVH in this post)

I could save quite a bit of cash if I use the 5150's preamp in conjunction with the C.A.B's poweramp simulation instead of using the real poweramp with the LIVE. Therefore I must ask myself if using the actual amp's power section is really worth an extra $450 as opposed to just using the preamp out into the C.A.B. and using the C.A.B.'s poweramp sims? Also, I should add this amp would probably never be used in a live setting, only for recording/home use

This appears to be the case which would indeed make this amp a superb match for a Torpedo CAB. In this case, the difference would be just whether having an spdif output at 48 or 96kHz is an asset to your workflow. Fwiw, we've done some store demos and where the EVH was provide (using the EVH's speaker output) and a Live with an excellent final result on all channels (assuming one likes the amps sonics). I did and I'm pretty hard on amps (bit of a boutique snob, I must admit :D )!

Andy www.diffusion-audio.com

Back