A Direct Recording of Amp -> Torpedo Free PlugIn

pjrake":2slgi6gv said:
Sounds amazing!

I'm getting a Torpedo Live this Friday. Man, I can't wait!

PJ

Sweet! :rock:

I would also love to have it "latency free".

Weird thing is, although I can get it down to 32 samples I/O latency in Logic, there is a noticeable lag from the plugin, so when i record, I use my actual amp for monitoring. Probably it's my really old interface (Emagic EMI 6/2) that's the issue.

If only the C.A.B. were 9V DC ... I would need a new, bigger board to get it integrated.

Thank you for the sample hunter! :rock:

Weird thing is, although I can get it down to 32 samples I/O latency in Logic, there is a noticeable lag from the plugin, so when i record, I use my actual amp for monitoring. Probably it's my really old interface (Emagic EMI 6/2) that's the issue.

The plugin does not add latency, but the price to pay is it is a quite CPU intensive.

If only the C.A.B. were 9V DC ... I would need a new, bigger board to get it integrated.

We tried to use 9V but to get a proper Line and Headphones level we had to increase the power supply value...

guillaume_pille":255j4i4i said:
We tried to use 9V but to get a proper Line and Headphones level we had to increase the power supply value...

Fair enough, sound quality first! :thumbsup:

Have you tried it with outlets 5/6 on the PedalPower 2+? The deliver 200mA, so probably I'd have to use them both with a current doubler cable (it's just 6$ from VLab direct - http://www.voodoolab.com/shop/index.php ... nopbrdvh32) ?

Did you try this or have heard of anyone using the C.A.B. this way?

Hi Hunter,

I didn't try personally this power unit, but after looking at the specs, this should work:

Put the DIP switches 5 & 6 away from NORMAL = 14,5V, which is enough

Use a current doubler cable adapter.

And of course take care of the polarity (check the C.A.B. user's manual).

hunter":2575k7p8 said:
pjrake":2575k7p8 said:
Sounds amazing!

I'm getting a Torpedo Live this Friday. Man, I can't wait!

PJ

Make sure the I/O Safety Buffer is turned off in Logic.
There shouldn't be any latency introduced by the plug, on my PC I get latencies below 3ms (actual measurement, Lynx PCI card)

:yes:

hunter":ymv9lwni said:

I am using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and ASIO drivers in Reaper. I don't know exactly what my latency is, but it's pretty danged low. Like, wow, this is pretty nice low. The TN plug, for whatever reason, has a better latency than using other IRs with a convolution plug of some type. However, if I switch to other driver types (WDM, Direct Sound, something like that) my latency rises.

I'd say check that first. See if you can use ASIO. I couldn't use them on my old soundcard.

There is however, a negative to them we can go over if you discover that helps your latency.

And, I can't get my PI to sound that good. Tell me what you are doing, please.

The TN plug, for whatever reason, has a better latency than using other IRs with a convolution plug of some type

Well, the reason is we worked a lot on the latency issue... ;)

He could send you his preset, I think most of the tone come from what you send to the plugin, so how do you use it? With a modeling amp or a real preamp/amp with loadbox?

guillaume_pille":3hp62j2h said:

He could send you his preset, I think most of the tone come from what you send to the plugin, so how do you use it? With a modeling amp or a real preamp/amp with loadbox?

Indeed, there ain't much in the plugin settings. I didn't use anything but the cab sim, no EQ, no power amp sim. However the input signal was a cooking amp, so there is a certain liveliness and dynamic to the tone, and the Torpedo just reacts in a very organic way, which makes it seem real.

The Torpedo is IMO a very strong element in any signal chain, but if other elements are weak, the final result can only be as good as the weakest part.

guillaume_pille":2gr4lb3x said:
Signal from a marshall to a Countryman DI, into an Alex attenuator then to a speaker. Signal from Countryman DI to Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 into DAW. I've went from the lineout of the Alex and feel the signal from the DI is a bit cleaner sounding. I'm sure it is something with my setup as I've heard lots of good clips. I mean, it sounds ok, but not like hunter's clips. It lacks the depth his does. I end up running two tracks, one front of cab and one back of cab to try and get some depth. This works ok, but kind of looses some of the vibrancy of the single front of cab.

I'd blame the Countryman DI, but it's a popular workhorse DI and the line out of the Alex isn't any better really. So, I don't know.

Hmm, maybe you're using too much stuff?

I go Mesa into Rivera Rock Crusher, from there line out via a cheapo cable jack to RCA into the audio interface, an Emagic ESI6/2, it's really old and not state of the art. Direct into Logic. Sometimes I would use a Mackie 1202 to fatten the signal a bit, but not in this case.

hunter":2puu8fpb said:
The Torpedo is IMO a very strong element in any signal chain, but if other elements are weak, the final result can only be as good as the weakest part.
The Torpedo, to me, is the most natural sounding of all the speaker/cab/mic sims out there. I just can't it to sound like yours. :D

Yours sounds a bit darker than what I end up with, but still with plenty cut and presence. If I start moving the mic around or adjusting EQ to get it a bit darker, to help kind of fill things out some, it starts loosing the cut. When I move the mic or adjust the EQ to brighten it up, it starts getting thin.

I'm sure it's all me and not the PI, I just want to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Didn't you do another clip with a Marshall? I recall it sounding really good as well.

hunter":11nw1vu1 said:
Hmm, maybe you're using too much stuff?

I go Mesa into Rivera Rock Crusher, from there line out via a cheapo cable jack to RCA into the audio interface, an Emagic ESI6/2, it's really old and not state of the art. Direct into Logic. Sometimes I would use a Mackie 1202 to fatten the signal a bit, but not in this case.
I think the only thing I have extra is the DI between the amp and attenuator. I've just used the lineout from the Alex and I'm not real fond of it. I like the DI better.

That said, someone else told me they liked the lineout of the Rock Crusher, and perhaps that is the difference. Do you know anything about the lineout of the Rock Crusher? The Alex is just a simple resistive line out, no EQ or options.

Rogue you don't have a cheap signal chain, let's try another hypothesis: maybe you are a little too hard on your work? I can't remember if you posted some samples of your work.

guillaume_pille":3c58o3cs said:
Rogue you don't have a cheap signal chain, let's try another hypothesis: maybe you are a little too hard on your work? I can't remember if you posted some samples of your work.
You're probably right. It's why we are all here...because someone else's tone sounds killer. :LOL: :LOL:

It could merely be that he has a great amp and guitar and the skills to make it sound great. I can accept that. :cry:

hunter, what are your settings? Distance, center, and overload? Are you using any the effects in the PI?

Rogue":amk8w81o said:
guillaume_pille":amk8w81o said:
You're probably right. It's why we are all here...because someone else's tone sounds killer. :LOL: :LOL:

It could merely be that he has a great amp and guitar and the skills to make it sound great. I can accept that. :cry:

hunter, what are your settings? Distance, center, and overload? Are you using any the effects in the PI?

Fwiw, I had an Alex for a while that I picked up to specifically use for loading my head down for direct recording with impulses and never could get a sound I liked out of it. It always sounded weak with no depth. I don't know if it was the DI on it or what. Using a simple Suhr line out box gave me infinitely better results, but it certainly didn't help with the noise problem.

Back