Interface Suggestion

pjrake

I'm getting my Torpedo Live this Friday, and my storm of questions will be coming (lol). Here is a pre-question:

1. What are some of the best audio interface that supports the S/PDIF input that the Torpedo Live has (and suggests). Right now I have an older version of the Line6 Toneport UX2, and it actually does have a S/PDIF DIGITAL OUT connection, but never used it. Actually, I never knew what it was for!

Although I will be using the Torpedo Live mainly for live use, when I'm home with my rig I would like to plug into my computer and mess around with the tones.

Thanks all!!!

Best,

PJ

Hi PJ, in order to connect via the digital out you will need an interface that has a spdif input (not just an output). The session will need to be set for external clocking (via the spdif). This is done in the hardware or preferences menu (depending on your DAW). In addition, the sampling rate must be 48kHz or 96kHz. If you have an interface in mind and wish to double check, please pm or post the info here and I'll check it out and advise.

Andy www.diffusion-audio.com

I'm using my VB-101 with my Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP.
It's working flawlessly with SPDIF connected on both Windows 7 and Mac OSX Mountain Lion.

Cheers
Matthias

Damageplan":5vj1f9xu said:
I'm using my VB-101 with my Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP.
It's working flawlessly with SPDIF connected on both Windows 7 and Mac OSX Mountain Lion.

Cheers
Matthias

I'm looking at the back of my laptop, but don't see a firewire connection. Are they better than USB when it comes to audio interface?

Thanks!

PJ

Well Firewire should be better at latency (lower values), but suffers from some compatibility from one Firewire chip to another (the chip in your computer, most Firewire soundcard say that Texas Instrument chips are better).

Based on my experience, USB is good as long as you don't have too much I/Os simultaneously (talking about USB 1 & 2, USB 3 seems to be great).

The thing is most low quality product use USB, and better products use Firewire instead. So the mai thing is not really about Firewire or USB, but more about the number of I/Os you need and/or the quality you want/need and of course the price you are ready to pay. )

If you don't have Firewire (which seems to be the case) you will find some good mid-range USB AND Firewire products made by MOTU or RME for example.

But do me a favour and don't go with a MOTU 828 MKII.
I had this before my Focusrite and the MOTU was really a pain in the ass.
Worst interface I ever had!

Cust my 2 cents ;)

Cheers
Matthias

Both, Mac (I think it was Snow Leopard) and Windows XP. Was some years ago, maybe the newer ones are better now.
Drivers where horrible, i had many issues with latency, crackles and so on...
Selling this thing was one of the best decisions I've ever made... beside getting a VB-101 ;)

Cheers

That's for sure.
At our rehearsal space we have a RME HDSP 9652.
It's working flawlessly for nearly 10 years now.
We never had a single problem with it :)

Back