Torpedo Capture?

gives a good comparison

do you wish to hear the difference between a Torpedo user IR obtained using the Capture software and the same cab/mic recorded? If so, that's something we'd need to work on for a future presentation (great concept btw).

Andy

sysexguy":3sdzzl5c said:
do you wish to hear the difference between a Torpedo user IR obtained using the Capture software and the same cab/mic recorded? If so, that's something we'd need to work on for a future presentation (great concept btw).

Andy
Yeah, a user IR using the capture software. With all the modeling "profiling" and "tone matching" going on, I was hoping somebody somewhere had made a comparison. Or even a clip of a user IR using the capture.

Fairly curious about it.

BTW, that video above is pretty cool. I'm fairly amazed that dude was able to get that close a tone to his miced cab.

We're going to try doing exactly that in a video at some point in the near term, "that dude" is Frank Marino, no slouch on the guitar and a studio genius. Just about any Paul Gilbert or Zack Wylde interview that discusses early influences usually goes straight to discussions about Frank. The list of famous bands that once opened for Frank Marino would make your head spin. There's an upcoming Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush DVD filmed in Cleveland that will feature Torpedo throughout... One thing we can all learn from Frank is how, rather than take the easy road and pick the cab/mic combinations by habit and visual reference, the sounds he got were tweaked and matched entirely by ear. :rock:

Andy

I didn't mean any offense to that dude. :LOL: :LOL:

I'd like to hear how well it captures a user cab. Pretty intrigued. I'm just surprised no one has done it yet....or at least done it and posted it.

Is this the new official Two Notes user forum?

I didn't mean any offense to that dude.

:D
I didn't know Frank Marino, and Andy is having fun of me because "I am the one who only listens to bands who's logos were created on a spirograph"... :LOL: :LOL: :rock:

Is this the new official Two Notes user forum?

Yes it is, but as a matter of fact we have WAY much interaction with our users on French forums, for example:

http://www.guitariste.com/forums/pedale ... 28868.html

or:

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/two-notes/

We try to do our best to push the international forum, but most of our users in foreign countries (ie not France) are professionals, and they don't have time/interest in posting videos or samples...

About the Capture feature, it appears that most people use our own IRs or 3rd party IRs and not so much the Capture option. We launched this exchange tool (still a work in progress) a while ago but it is quite empty. I know the interface is very bad and we are working on it:

http://www.two-notes.com/torpedo-exchange/download.php

Thanks. I have the pi-free and I'm not sure I can use those files in there. Speaking of which, I used to have the full version but sold it. Now I'm looking to pick up the modern pack, I think. There is a special on the WOS, will there be a special on the modern pack anytime soon?

Thanks. I have the pi-free and I'm not sure I can use those files in there.

No, you can't load IRs on the PI-FREE.

There is a special on the WOS, will there be a special on the modern pack anytime soon?

There is nothing planned on the "small" versions. But if you already have an ilok2 and don't plan on starting a collection, the PI-modern is still half the price of the WoS.

Okay, so I picked up WOS and tried the Torpedo Capture. I had to use the power section of my amp, but even so I think they are decent and there is a lot of potential for good tones with this. The ones listed above are pretty cool too. I'm surpised there are not more people putting out captures. With the popularity of the Kemper, this could be the solution for guys that want to keep their amps but go FOH or record with their tone.

Anyways, I'm looking to explore this further. I either need a cheap clean power amp, or rent one or something. Any suggestions as to a poweramp to get? Would the EHX 44 Magnum work? It's description says 44 watts of clean power AND delivers true aplifier overdrive at the turn of a knob. I don't know exactly what that means, but if it can do a clean 44 watts, it might be cool to have around since it's compact. What should I be looking for?

And any other tips or tricks to capture?

Personally, I've found that with all the excellent IR's provided by Two Notes, plus the Redwirez Big Box and OwnHammer's stuff that I don't need to bother creating my own IR's (since there's so many perfectly recorded/time-aligned IR's out there already).

Maybe if I had a better Mic Locker LOL, but I'm not so lucky!

I'll let Guillaume reply regarding the phase alignment, for the amp, you want to have the amp out (with respect to distortion) of the equation as you would otherwise compound the effect of the sampled amp with the performance amp. On the other hand, it is a great opportunity to experiment with mic pre-amps and if you are bold, drive these pre-amps to generate some colour.

The power amp used in the Capture process needs to be a) clean and b) have a very high headroom ideally a minimum of 250watts. The cabinet needs to be driven to the point where both the cabinet and the room are getting excited or the result will be likely a bit flat. The sweep needs to go from well below the guitar's frequencies to way beyond the range of the speaker, a guitar specific mini amp like the E-H may sound just super as a guitar amp (even clean) but not deliver the goods for Capture. A decent PA amp will do the trick and can be borrowed or found used quite easily...always a useful thing to have anyway.

Andy

djd100":35dgl814 said:
Personally, I've found that with all the excellent IR's provided by Two Notes, plus the Redwirez Big Box and OwnHammer's stuff that I don't need to bother creating my own IR's (since there's so many perfectly recorded/time-aligned IR's out there already).

Maybe if I had a better Mic Locker LOL, but I'm not so lucky!
I hear ya, but with the success of the Kemper, that model is hard to argue. A little different for sure, but it'd be nice to have 2000+ user cabs and an public exchange to grab some cabs and check them out.

Also, I'm not sure if Two Notes uses a different configuration for cab captures, but my meager means and abilities I got a couple pretty decent captures that I think sounds at least on par with the OwnHammer and Redwires stuff.

I tell you, I'm excited. Don't kill my buzz man!!! :LOL: :LOL:

sysexguy":dayscsfq said:
I'll let Guillaume reply regarding the phase alignment, for the amp, you want to have the amp out (with respect to distortion) of the equation as you would otherwise compound the effect of the sampled amp with the performance amp. On the other hand, it is a great opportunity to experiment with mic pre-amps and if you are bold, drive these pre-amps to generate some colour.

The power amp used in the Capture process needs to be a) clean and b) have a very high headroom ideally a minimum of 250watts. The cabinet needs to be driven to the point where both the cabinet and the room are getting excited or the result will be likely a bit flat. The sweep needs to go from well below the guitar's frequencies to way beyond the range of the speaker, a guitar specific mini amp like the E-H may sound just super as a guitar amp (even clean) but not deliver the goods for Capture. A decent PA amp will do the trick and can be borrowed or found used quite easily...always a useful thing to have anyway.

Andy
Yeah, I kind of figured a 200+ watt amp would be optimal. I've been wanting one of those little 44 magnums for a wet cab for a while now. I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone. :yes:

Sorry Rogue, surely didn't want to do that! :D

I've never tried making an IR ever, though do post a clip or an IR if possible so I can check out what's happening!

Good luck...

Rogue":vlqt546v said:
I tell you, I'm excited. Don't kill my buzz man!!! :LOL: :LOL:

Oh, also, is there a way to phase align the captured IRs?

The whole process of cutting the IR and phase alignement is done in the Torpedo Capture.

It is automated and works great but may not be perfect in any case. That's where the Variphi may help on the Two Notes captures.

About capturing IR, you can definitely try to do it with a guitar amp. This is not what we would recommend, but it can be very interesting.

About the exchange website, this is definitely my fault, we should advertise more about it...

guillaume_pille":1i1o1ykn said:
The whole process of cutting the IR and phase alignement is done in the Torpedo Capture.

It is automated and works great but may not be perfect in any case. That's where the Variphi may help on the Two Notes captures.

About capturing IR, you can definitely try to do it with a guitar amp. This is not what we would recommend, but it can be very interesting.

About the exchange website, this is definitely my fault, we should advertise more about it...
Hey, you are nonconforme on TGP. I started that thread as a DI question, but it seems there isn't much discussion regarding that. It turned into a Two Notes thread, so I guess we can continue that here.

You are correct, some of the IRs are phase aligned, some of them aren't. The first few I did all seemed off, but later ones are aligned. Well, some of them weren't, but most of them are. You can see it in the picture in the plug in when they aren't aligned.

I'm going to shoot some IRs with a clean power amp whenever I can get my hands on one and the time to do it. It works pretty good even with my guitar amp. I went in through the loop and kept the volume low so that not too much power tube distortion was going on (which is still damn loud).

Anyways, I experimented with using the second channel with the same IR and cutting some highs and EQ tweaks, adding some compression, and turning on the power amp sims. This seems to be moving in the right direction.

If I take my ilok (that's on a PC), and use it with a Mac, will the Two Notes WOS and Capture work on the Mac?

Back