VB-101 users chime in...

MontyW

I have some mixed emotions about my situation. My uncle has recently passed away and he has left me two amazing Marshall amps - a 1966 JTM45 and a 1982 JCM 800 - they were his much loved amps and the JTM45 has some interesting provenance. I'm due to pick them up next week.

My situation is that I rarely gig these days and I play my Divided By 13 BTR23 at low volumes at home and record the traditional way via a mic and pre amp.

My question(s)... is the VB-101 a solution to use these wonderful Marshall amps at home and direct into my DAW? Will I really be able to get that cranked Marshall tone through my studio monitors?I know I wont get the air to move l :D but can VB-101 users tell me your views?

The VB-101 is at the upper end of my budget, but I think these amps deserve the best or would the Torpedo Live be just as good a solution for me?

Advice please.

My condolences for the loss and best thoughts for you and your family.

I know the Torpedo Live will let you take advantage of these amps quite well, however, if you have the funds for the VB (which I've never personally used) I would definitely get it. It does twice the mic'ing the Live does and I imagine would be awesome into DAW's, as is the Live. Now if tracking with both of them at the same time is a desire, I'd get two Live's. Hell...I think someone has one for sale here. Then you could really put the gear to work. Either way, I think you'll be extremely please with the results.

Best wishes... :)

Sorry for your loss MontyW, but as your uncle was a guitarist we have to find the better way to play those amps in the best conditions.

The VB-101 is the best product that we have today, but you have to figure out what the VB-101 will bring you VS the Live. The sound quality is the best on the VB-101, but both are studio-grade products. It is more a question of the advanced possibilities you have in the VB-101 and the use you can make of them.

Guillaume_pille thank you for your kind words. At the moment I am tempted by the VB-101. I have a question that is not directly related to the 101, but as I will have two amps and may be more I collect a few more :) is there a way I can route more than one amp to the VB-101 so that I can switch between multiple amps? I would only want one amps signal going to the 101 at any one time.

So, is it possible to route more than one amp to the unit and how do I do it?

Thanks.

MontyW":1819zw0c said:
Guillaume_pille thank you for your kind words. At the moment I am tempted by the VB-101. I have a question that is not directly related to the 101, but as I will have two amps and may be more I collect a few more :) is there a way I can route more than one amp to the VB-101 so that I can switch between multiple amps? I would only want one amps signal going to the 101 at any one time.

Thanks.

No, both amps need to see a load. The Live and VB can only supply a load to one head at a time. But consider this - for the cost of one VB, you can buy two Torpedo Live units and use an A/B/Y switch in front of the amps to select I/O to either or both with input to a mixer.

guillaume_pille":bcec90hw said:

Actually, there is a possibility called amp switcher. I think Soundsculpture have a model and hopefully some other brands can provide something like that:

http://www.soundsculpture.com/products/switchblade.htm

Each head still has to see a load when it isn't selected......whether it is the TNTL, a cab or a dummy load.

Each head still has to see a load when it isn't selected......whether it is the TNTL, a cab or a dummy load.

You are absolutely right, I don't know why I was sure the Switchblade had a security load embedded.

I found this one:

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-headbone-vt.htm

But I don't really see this handling the power of the non-active amp, still connected to an inside load.

I see there is another thread here about that products.

Custom Audio used to have an amp switcher, so does Egnater, but I am not sure they are still under production?

guillaume_pille":2ge30ly8 said:

You are absolutely right, I don't know why I was sure the Switchblade had a security load embedded.

I found this one:

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-headbone-vt.htm

But I don't really see this handling the power of the non-active amp, still connected to an inside load.

I see there is another thread here about that products.

Custom Audio used to have an amp switcher, so does Egnater, but I am not sure they are still under production?

Bob Bradshaw (Custom Audio Electronics) will still custom build his head switching gear, if you can wait. The Egnater S4 is an exceptional 4:1 rack unit. But, it is out of production.

You are 3/4 of the way there already with the TNTL. Add another isolated 8 ohm static load and relay switching and BOOM!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back