VB-101 vs Reload

peterc52

Please explain to me the differences between Torpedo VB-101 and Torpedo Reload.

:)

Would be used for recording at my home. :)

good question as this is coming up often,

VB-101 is a self contained speaker emulator/loadbox
input can be 8ohm speaker level, line level, aes/ebu or spdif digital
output can be analog dry line level, post speaker emulation analog line level, aes/ebu or spdif digital

the Reload is a utility tool but needs to be combined with a speaker emulator to work like a VB-101, (either a Torpedo hardware product or the included Reload edition of the WallofSound plug-in). Reload is a pure analog device.

so why get a Reload?

1) accepts speaker level at 4, 8 and 16 ohm impedance
2) integrated re amplification allows one to hear the guitar via a traditional speaker with fully adjustable volume (this is similar to what a Badcat Unleash does)...more for live but perhaps for studio like to get some feedback effects
3) signal matching comparator to properly calibrate re-amplification of dry tracks from a DAW back through analog electronics
4) using these functionalities in combinations as required during the tracking, pre-mix and mixing process

as release comes closer, there will be some media with detailed application explanation

Andy

Hi Peter, you'd need to check with your dealer/distributor in your country. we will announce the USA pricing asap.

thanks, Andy

Hey Andy, I assume the Reload is loading the same load technology as the Live, is this right? Or is it different?

And can you use, say, the amp at 16 ohms into the Reload set at 16 ohms, but out to a cabinet of 4 or 8 ohms?

Hey, probably too late in the game and may not be anything you want the Reload to have since it seems more geared for the studio, but an effects loop would push it over the top for a feature rich attenuator.

Request submitted.

The Reload by it's very nature can act as an effect loop, the effect is inserted in between the line level out from the loadbox and the input of the re-amplifier.

Andy

Hmmm. Well, I'm confused.

It seems the Loadbox output would be parallel to the reamplifier in that case, unless the line-in disconnects that feeds an inserts the line-in. I mean, there's a continuous signal from load box to reamplifier and the loadbox output is just a tap from that, right?

On the back and under the "replay" section, is the "amp out" the DI signal sent to the guitar amplifier? What is the "line in" for that has to do with the replay?

I think having it function as an effects loop for guys with NMV amps would be a big selling point.

Also, I think you might have missed my question about the impedance of the guitar amp and speaker cab and if they have to match. Being a reamping device, I would think you can use any speaker impedance. Is that true?

The Reload is actually several tools in one, they aren't all in series by default. On the other hand, there's nothing preventing you from using all the functionalities at the same time (cabled accordingly).

The re-amplifier has a line input and a speaker output that can be from 4 to 16 ohms

The loadbox is speaker in (4 to 16 ohms) and line out

the replay matcher is line input (balanced) to line out (unbalanced-to amp) and compares the signal to the guitar input on the front panel

the DI is front panel instrument to balance xlr DI out

Andy

Thanks Andy. I'm still a little fuzzy on setting up for using an effects loop pre re-amplifier. I assume I would go out of the XLR Loadbox output, to effect, then back into the TRS Line In under the Replay section? Is this correct?

And if so, how does this work? Here's my concern.....

I can use the Reload as a basic attenuator...guitar amp to Speaker In...Speaker Out to guitar cabinet. Good to go.

Now, if I then go Loadbox Out to effects and back into Line Out, does this interrupt the signal that was originally working as a basic attenuator as above (Loadbox internally to re-amplifier) and replace it with the effects signal (Loadbox Out to Line In)? If it doesn't interrupt the signal, is the Loadbox to re-amplifier signal in parallel to Line In signal? Or do I completely have it wrong?

Sorry to be a nuisance, just trying to understand how to do it properly to give the desired result.

Hi Rogue, OK here's the key factor that is causing the confusion, the Reload is NOT an attenuator. The speaker load is 100% absorbed and reduced to line level. This is not variable in any way. After that, there is an amplifier that brings the line level signal back to a speaker level that IS adjustable from silence to a good loud volume. This is patched separately, as required, as indicated above.

These 2 functions are essentially similar to a Badcat Unleash. The major difference in functionality would be that the unleash is normalled to be connected serially via the effects loop jacks and the Reload requires a jumper cable to work in this manner. I would defer to Guillaume regarding the exact spec but Reload will as I understand offer a superior load technology, more flexible patching and a much better quality amplifier.

back to the question, yes you would go amp to reload speaker in, load out to f/x, f/x to replay line in, speaker out to loudspeaker.

Andy

sysexguy":ye5sv1sq said:
Hi Rogue, OK here's the key factor that is causing the confusion, the Reload is NOT an attenuator. The speaker load is 100% absorbed and reduced to line level. This is not variable in any way. After that, there is an amplifier that brings the line level signal back to a speaker level that IS adjustable from silence to a good loud volume. This is patched separately, as required, as indicated above.

These 2 functions are essentially similar to a Badcat Unleash. The major difference in functionality would be that the unleash is normalled to be connected serially via the effects loop jacks and the Reload requires a jumper cable to work in this manner. I would defer to Guillaume regarding the exact spec but Reload will as I understand offer a superior load technology, more flexible patching and a much better quality amplifier.

back to the question, yes you would go amp to reload speaker in, load out to f/x, f/x to replay line in, speaker out to loudspeaker.

Andy
Thanks, Andy. I get that it is a re-amplifier. What I'm asking is when I go from load out to f/x, f/x to replay line in, is the original signal interrupted that goes from load out to re-amplifier and replaced with the line in signal? Or do I hear both?

Or, to put another way, if I am playing my amp through the Reload and I plugged in an ipod in the replay line in, would I hear both my guitar and the ipod or would I only hear the ipod?

Thanks, Andy. I get that it is a re-amplifier. What I'm asking is when I go from load out to f/x, f/x to replay line in, is the original signal interrupted that goes from load out to re-amplifier and replaced with the line in signal? Or do I hear both?

Or, to put another way, if I am playing my amp through the Reload and I plugged in an ipod in the replay line in, would I hear both my guitar and the ipod or would I only hear the ipod?

Ok, this to remind me I have to work on the user manual... :D

There are several inputs and outputs on the Reload. If you take the output separately the are all in parallel (loadbox out, DI out, attenuator out). If you chain for example the loadbox output to enter the Replay input, well they are now in series, so you will get the loadbox signal in the replay output, with instrument level... I guess that is not what you want to do.

The replay function is not linked to the attenuator, so what enters in Replay input goes only into Replay output.

The attenuator output takes it signal from the embedded loadbox ONLY. You cannot have the Line in signal going into the re-amplifier system.

So:

It seems the Loadbox output would be parallel to the reamplifier in that case, unless the line-in disconnects that feeds an inserts the line-in. I mean, there's a continuous signal from load box to reamplifier and the loadbox output is just a tap from that, right?

You are right.

The Reload by it's very nature can act as an effect loop, the effect is inserted in between the line level out from the loadbox and the input of the re-amplifier.

I am afraid this doesn't work, actually there is no insertion point between the loadbox output and the re-amplifier input (internal only).

The (soon to be) "classic" recording setup should be:

Guitar -> DI input -> soundcard mic input -> DAW -> soundcard Line output -> Replay Input -> replay Output -> Amplifier input -> Amplifier speaker output -> Attenuator output ->
1- Loadbox output -> soundcard lIne 2 input -> DAW/sequencer + WoS III
2- Attenuator output -> cabinet

Hey, probably too late in the game and may not be anything you want the Reload to have since it seems more geared for the studio, but an effects loop would push it over the top for a feature rich attenuator.

Request submitted.

Just to understand the request (it's too late but I'd like to understand ^^), we are OK that an FX loop on the Reload would mean something between the loadbox output ant the re-amplifier? It is very different from what can have on a regular amp, where the FX loop is between the preamp and the power amp stages. There is no way to replace, with the Reload, an FX loop that you don't have on your amp. in other words, to do that we should have the preamp output of your amp, meaning your amp HAS an FX loop. ^^

guillaume_pille":lvilp8a3 said:
Ok, this to remind me I have to work on the user manual... :D
Probably so. While it probably seems straight forward to you since you are familiar with it, it's a bit complicated for use newbies. :)

There are several inputs and outputs on the Reload. If you take the output separately the are all in parallel (loadbox out, DI out, attenuator out). If you chain for example the loadbox output to enter the Replay input, well they are now in series, so you will get the loadbox signal in the replay output, with instrument level... I guess that is not what you want to do.

The replay function is not linked to the attenuator, so what enters in Replay input goes only into Replay output.

The attenuator output takes it signal from the embedded loadbox ONLY. You cannot have the Line in signal going into the re-amplifier system.
Ok. That answers my question, but not the answer I wanted. :(

Guitar -> DI input -> soundcard mic input -> DAW -> soundcard Line output -> Replay Input -> replay Output -> Amplifier input -> Amplifier speaker output -> Attenuator output ->
1- Loadbox output -> soundcard lIne 2 input -> DAW/sequencer + WoS III
2- Attenuator output -> cabinet
:shocked: :LOL: :LOL:

So, the DI input is the input on the front, right? Should the DI output go to soundcard mic input? And Replay Output is called "Amp Out" on the picture on your website?

Just to understand the request (it's too late but I'd like to understand ^^), we are OK that an FX loop on the Reload would mean something between the loadbox output ant the re-amplifier? It is very different from what can have on a regular amp, where the FX loop is between the preamp and the power amp stages. There is no way to replace, with the Reload, an FX loop that you don't have on your amp. in other words, to do that we should have the preamp output of your amp, meaning your amp HAS an FX loop. ^^
Kind of like the Badcat Unleash, a reamplifier similar to the Reload, works. They stuck an effects loop between the load box and power amp, giving a post guitar amplifier power stage effects loop. Effects loops in a NMV amp sound doesn't very good, because the effect gets distorted by the power stage. So an effects loop post guitar amplifier would be an awesome feature to have for people like myself with NMV amp (which is the majority of people looking at attenuators).

But alas, it doesn't seem something that can be done, at least until version 2. On the other hand, Badcat stopped moving forward with production and inserted the effects loop because of a large demand from potential buyers. hint hint :D

So, the DI input is the input on the front, right? Should the DI output go to soundcard mic input? And Replay Output is called "Amp Out" on the picture on your website?

DI is in the front, Di output goes to mic preamp, Amp out is what I called Replay out. ;)

But alas, it doesn't seem something that can be done, at least until version 2. On the other hand, Badcat stopped moving forward with production and inserted the effects loop because of a large demand from potential buyers. hint hint :D

At this point it is not possible to stop production, but if having an FX loop after the power amp section is not an issue I will definitely think about it. That's my problem, you know, to build what I think is right (and of course I can be mistaken) instead of giving people what they want. The exact opposite of a politician. ^^I have to work on that.

Back