Diezel VH4 with Torpedo Live

jswevers

Dear all,

I posted this message also in the Diezel forum but was suggested to post it here also (I edited it a bit).

I am using a DIEZEL VH4 with a 2x12 FL Diezel Cab. Gmajor2 in the loop. I am using also, already for more than one year, in ear monitors (wireless). I have been using first a microphone in front of the cab with microphone amp, and later switched to an ADA GCS2 (cab simulator) to get the guitar sound. This signal then goes into the sender of the wireless system. This ADA is in the effects loop, just after the GMajor 2. So it is not a load box.
What I hear in my ear is a "natural mix of the IEM and straight sound from the cab.
None of these setups satisfies me, also if the master volume is down: sound in my in ears is too compressed, not realy a "live" sound.

I am now considering a Torpedo live? Is someone using the Torpedo Live in combination of a cab (so speaker cable goes from VH4 speaker out into the speaker input of the Torpedo live, and another speaker cable goes from the Torpedo Live Through into the cab)? I consider this because some people in the band do not have IEM and need to hear the guitar. What is the expected difference between using the Torpedo with or without cab?

Looking forward to read your advice.

Kind regards,

Jan

Hi jswevers,

I think that right now there are a lot of bands having the same setup as the one you have in mind. I hope someone will come to talk to about it.

I think this works very well, th only problem that may happen is if you try to mix both sound on the PA in Mono. As there is a small but real latency in the Torpedo Live (like in any digital product), mixing a miked cabinet with the simulation will cause some phase cancelation (again, if mixed in mono, there is no such problem when on 2 separate channels).

What is the expected difference between using the Torpedo with or without cab?

The impedance curve of the Torpedo Live and a real cabinet are close, but as a matter of fact it will not be the exact replication of YOUR cabinet impedance.

So when your amp is hooked to the Live only, it will see the impedance of the Live, and if a cabinet is plugged in the THRU output of the Torpedo Live, the amp will se the cabinet impedance only.

So theoretically the 2 different impedances will conduct the amp to behave differently, but as a matter of fact they are close enough not to be really noticeable.

Dear Guillaume,

Thanks for your reply.
With respect to your message:

guillaume_pille":v2filcnb said:
I think this works very well, th only problem that may happen is if you try to mix both sound on the PA in Mono. As there is a small but real latency in the Torpedo Live (like in any digital product), mixing a miked cabinet with the simulation will cause some phase cancelation (again, if mixed in mono, there is no such problem when on 2 separate channels).

With in-ear monitors I plan to work like this: the receiver has two inputs that are mixed in mono. On one channel I have the Torpedo live, and on the other channel a mix of the rest of the band (all instruments except mine). This mixed mode allows me to change the balance between myself and the rest of the band on my receiver. Is that OK?

When I use the Torpedo Live with a cab, I will hear a mix in my ears of the sound produced by the Torpedo live through the in-ear monitors and the straight sound of the cab (in-ears do not seal the sound perfectly). Of course the sound comming straight from the cab is also delayed because of the finite travel speed of the sound: what do you expect then???

Thanks for you help

Jan

With in-ear monitors I plan to work like this: the receiver has two inputs that are mixed in mono. On one channel I have the Torpedo live, and on the other channel a mix of the rest of the band (all instruments except mine). This mixed mode allows me to change the balance between myself and the rest of the band on my receiver. Is that OK?

That is absolutely OK.

When I use the Torpedo Live with a cab, I will hear a mix in my ears of the sound produced by the Torpedo live through the in-ear monitors and the straight sound of the cab (in-ears do not seal the sound perfectly). Of course the sound coming straight from the cab is also delayed because of the finite travel speed of the sound: what do you expect then???

Well, it depends mostly on the sound attenuation you have on your in-ear, but they ask mainly as a low pass filter and what your body will feel by "listening" the real cabinet can't be phase-canceled. ;) This effect can happen easily when signals are mixed electronically, not really in the open air, otherwise you wouldn't have to wear an active noise-cancelation headphones to get some silence on a plane. ^^

I just ordered a Torpedo Live at Thomann ... it is expected to arrive in the shop on Sept 16. I hope there are no additional delays. Looking forward to have it in my rack.

Back