Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Fri, Dec 14, 2018 1:44am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 27, 2015 7:09pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Are you human?: 951
Hey all,

So I picked up a Torpedo CAB to see what the fuss is about... great machine, simple to use... even the Remote, La Boutique, everything...

However, after three or four days of playing around, my ears are fried! I'm being thrown back to the 80's, inside a recording studio, moving a microphone by an inch at a time and wondering if THAT was THE sound... hours of playing around, never sure, never quite right... hated it. Kinda love that the CAB takes me back there, but I'm experiencing the same sort of burn out...

So I go back to my Theta Rack Preamp XLR outs (a lowpass filter) and all sounds right with the world... (same with my Theta Pro lowpass filter cab sim)...

So, I found the Hughes and Kettner Red Box IR from their website, and someone on another forum found a Behring Ultra G IR, and the fellas at the fractal forum have the ADA Microcab and the Palmer PDI-09... but those last two are in the fractal specific .syx format which I'm not sure how to convert, nor if it's even possible to do so, for a format that works with the Torpedo CAB.

So... does anyone know if there are .wav IR versions of those lovely old analog EQ filter cab sims that can be loaded into the Torpedo CAB? Or perhaps others? Where might I find them, if they are indeed out there?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated!

--- ISP Theta PRO DSP, ISP Theta Rack Preamp, ISP Theta Combo, Theta 2x12 Vector, Charvel Wild Card #6, Charvel SD-1, Charvel MIJ Wild Card #5 and #6, EMG 85, SAV, SAVX adammclean.bandcamp.com gregoryfrancis.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 27, 2015 9:56pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Here's a conversion utility...

http://www.ownhammer.com/free/axe-o-matic/

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 27, 2015 10:24pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

http://exchange.two-notes.com/index.php

I did all 24 modes of the ADA Ampulator and there is also some Palmer and Redbox IRs in Torpedo format iirc

www.diffusion-audio.com

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 28, 2015 5:53am 
Journeyman NOOB

sysexguy wrote:
http://exchange.two-notes.com/index.php

I did all 24 modes of the ADA Ampulator and there is also some Palmer and Redbox IRs in Torpedo format iirc

Holy crap! THANK YOU... I just found them... I wasn't aware that there WAS an exchange...

Just loaded up and scrolled through and man oh man that Ampulator sounds SWEET with some extra power amp sims in the CAB.

I'll go searching for the Red Box, 'cause it's probably different than the IR H&K has on their website... (can't find it... :( )

Do you still have the Ampulator? I know with the Microcab there was a 'secret' setting where all the cab buttons were out (none pressed in) and I always thought that sounded best...

I have a lovely old DMC Voodoo Labs ToneCab I could mail you if you want to do those!!!

Thanks again! These are going to be a blast to play with....

--- ISP Theta PRO DSP, ISP Theta Rack Preamp, ISP Theta Combo, Theta 2x12 Vector, Charvel Wild Card #6, Charvel SD-1, Charvel MIJ Wild Card #5 and #6, EMG 85, SAV, SAVX adammclean.bandcamp.com gregoryfrancis.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 28, 2015 9:09am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I do and I wasn't aware of the "secret"....so I will try it and sample and post the result.

We can do the VoodooLabs however I am in Canada which adds a small amount to cost and logistics. Perhaps I can do it next time I'm in Nashville and/or you or another user could do it as well. The process in BlendIR is very easy and takes only minutes.

www.diffusion-audio.com

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 28, 2015 12:07pm 
Journeyman NOOB

sysexguy wrote:
I do and I wasn't aware of the "secret"....so I will try it and sample and post the result.

We can do the VoodooLabs however I am in Canada which adds a small amount to cost and logistics. Perhaps I can do it next time I'm in Nashville and/or you or another user could do it as well. The process in BlendIR is very easy and takes only minutes.

I'm happy to mail it to you on my dime and pay you for your time!

Capturing IR's is a bit tricky as I haven't dealt with that yet, and would need some tutoring... (time is a bit of an issue as well, but we're all busy...)

I'm experimenting with Blend, but still a bit unsure, but man that 32 band equalizer is great to have...

Let me know, I'm happy to ship it! And thanks again for all of the samples from the Ampulator!

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 29, 2015 3:32am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Just so you know we have been working on captures for Devin Townsend. Devin wanted to mix the sound of his Radial JDX and his Mesa rectifier Standard. I don't have the result(s) yet but they will be posted on the Two Notes Exchange. ;)

Creating pro audio product for the guitar and bass players:
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook
Two Notes samples on Soundcloud

For the best support, please check the FAQ and create a ticket on the Two Notes Help Desk

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 29, 2015 6:52am 
Journeyman NOOB

guillaume_pille wrote:
Just so you know we have been working on captures for Devin Townsend. Devin wanted to mix the sound of his Radial JDX and his Mesa rectifier Standard. I don't have the result(s) yet but they will be posted on the Two Notes Exchange. ;)

Fantastic! I would LOVE it if there's a capture of just the Radial JDX...

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 29, 2015 8:36am 
Journeyman NOOB

And has anyone captured the Mesa Cab Clone? :)

Or the AMT Chameleon, or the cab sims on any of the old Marshall preamps (JMP-1, 9004) or the SE-100?

I might be willing to buy a few if someone is willing to capture them for me!

(You guys rock...)

I LOVE that I have the Ampulator... way to throw me right back to the '89!

PostPosted: Tue, Sep 29, 2015 7:40pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

you can send me the voodoo, I'll sample it and return it. PM me for details

Also, right along with the Ampulator files are Korg SDE-3000 filter IR's, they are killer on the right guitar or keyboard track.

www.diffusion-audio.com

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 01, 2015 9:21am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Quote:
And has anyone captured the Mesa Cab Clone?

Why? WHY? WHYYYYYYYYYY?

:cry:

For the best support, please check the FAQ and create a ticket on the Two Notes Help Desk

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 01, 2015 10:52am 
Journeyman NOOB

^^^^^^^^

Hey, Ola Englund made it sound good!!!! :)

(He makes everything sound good)...

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 01, 2015 11:52am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

+1? :lol: :LOL:

guillaume_pille wrote:
Quote:
And has anyone captured the Mesa Cab Clone?

Why? WHY? WHYYYYYYYYYY?

:cry:

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 01, 2015 12:14pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Is the Cab Clone really that bad? It sort of sounded like the Palmer stuff to me (which I'm not terribly fond of... very compressed and 'tinny').

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 01, 2015 2:33pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

The Cab Clone sounds nothing like a real mic'd speaker cab as it's just a basic analog filter like all the others (Palmer, JDI, H&K etc).

If you like the sound of it though that's fine as you can load an IR of it into any Two Notes product that supports standard IR's.

McLeanAB wrote:
Is the Cab Clone really that bad? It sort of sounded like the Palmer stuff to me (which I'm not terribly fond of... very compressed and 'tinny').

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 01, 2015 2:50pm 
Journeyman NOOB

If I got one, that's what I would do....

The Ampulator IR is awesome after a bit of tweaking in the CAB!

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 02, 2015 4:04am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Quote:
Hey, Ola Englund made it sound good!!!

With the right amount of makeup and the right camera angle, a great director and photo operator, everything is possible! ^^

i'm joking, but I totally understand that some people will like the sound of analog speakersims. We started the Torpedo series with another idea in mind: getting as close as possible to the real deal. Analog filter can try, but will always fail.

But getting the right tone for your song is a different beast, a subjective and artistic approach, so if the cabclone sound is what you need, I'm perfectly OK with that, and the good new is that you can load its response into your CAB. ;)

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 02, 2015 5:18am 
Journeyman NOOB

guillaume_pille wrote:

But getting the right tone for your song is a different beast, a subjective and artistic approach, so if the cabclone sound is what you need, I'm perfectly OK with that, and the good new is that you can load its response into your CAB. ;)

Exactly! As far as it being what I "need," I'm in serious doubt... but I'd like to try it out! With the Ampulator IR's (thanks Andy), I was able to tweak with the Power Amp section and serious EQ and got something spectacular (for my specific tastes) that I could make 5 or 6 distinctly different great presets with. Hopefully, I can do that with a few of the old analog filter sims, and possibly even the dreaded Cab Clone!

And yes, the Torpedo is an awesome machine...

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 02, 2015 6:58am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

One thing we need is to grow the community so if you like the Ampulator IRs and made some great patches with them, please consider sharing them on the Two Notes Exchange.

The same would apply to others who are reading these threads. I am sure we can collectively provide greater resources for the user base and learn in the process. If you have a great patch for Torpedo, please share it! :rock:

www.diffusion-audio.com

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 02, 2015 7:28am 
Journeyman NOOB

Will do! I'll try to do that this weekend if I can snatch some time!

Thanks, sir!

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 02, 2015 10:59am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

The Cab Clone is no better or worse than the other analog cab sims, so it's hardly dreaded.

Both Fractal and Kemper have added freq smoothing to their cab sims for those using FRFR speakers live, which of course makes standard IR's sound more like analog cab sims LOL!

So, if you're using FRFR speakers live try a analog cab sim IR.

McLeanAB wrote:
guillaume_pille wrote:

Exactly! As far as it being what I "need," I'm in serious doubt... but I'd like to try it out! With the Ampulator IR's (thanks Andy), I was able to tweak with the Power Amp section and serious EQ and got something spectacular (for my specific tastes) that I could make 5 or 6 distinctly different great presets with. Hopefully, I can do that with a few of the old analog filter sims, and possibly even the dreaded Cab Clone!

And yes, the Torpedo is an awesome machine...

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 09, 2015 4:40pm 
Journeyman NOOB

By the way, Andy, the Korg Filter IR's are awesome...

Everything I'm playing with gets me in the ballpark of the ISP Theta rack preamp XLR cab sim (eq filter) out... BUT, I get to play with some subtle changes and add some grit, or smooth 2k high end... really awesome... thank you... I'll get to posting some presets soon!

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 29, 2015 12:28am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Thanks to McLeanAB we now have 2 more goodies to play with. The Openback and Closed back modes of the Digital Music Corp CabTone

They may be downloaded for free here http://exchange.two-notes.com/index.php and are compatible with all Torpedo products and plugins.

www.diffusion-audio.com

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 18, 2015 12:53pm 
Hack

guillaume_pille wrote:

Any news on this?

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 21, 2015 3:21am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Well, Devin is really really busy at this time so i don't have much news myself but I guess that after the holiday we will have some. ;)

PostPosted: Tue, Nov 27, 2018 12:47pm 
Journeyman NOOB

NECRO BUMP!

Has anyone tried capturing the (as previously stated) "dreaded" Mesa Cab Clone? :)

Would love to know if it's on the Exchange somewhere... can't seem to find it!

Any and all info is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 28, 2018 11:59am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Wow I must have one hanging around but never thought of doing a capture to be honest. Will see if I can fit that in our schedule.

PostPosted: Wed, Nov 28, 2018 2:04pm 
Journeyman NOOB

guillaume_pille wrote:
Wow I must have one hanging around but never thought of doing a capture to be honest. Will see if I can fit that in our schedule.

Awesome!

You are more than welcome to ship that old clunker of a Cab Clone to me if you'd like! :)

I'm having a blast revisiting some of these old filter sims we started chatting about in this thread three years ago...

I picked up an old GK 100mpl, and it's only fitting to drive it through the WOSIII using the Exchange stuff!!!

PostPosted: Mon, Dec 03, 2018 8:21am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Quote:
You are more than welcome to ship that old clunker of a Cab Clone to me if you'd like!

Ha ha nope it stays here. ^^