Torpedo Live and Marshall 1959HW

Edit321

I am considering picking one of these amps up. I already have the TL and love it with my Marshall JVM410HJS. Can the Torpedo handle a Marshall 1959HW head? I am not looking to crank it to 10 or anything. Mainly looking to use the 1959HW with drive pedals.

We actually tested a 1959HW a while back, on a Torpedo VB-101 if I remember correctly. It turned out the amp can output way more than the advertised 100W ! But this is not a problem if you don't intend to crank it up to 11 :)

In any case the Live will warn you if it overheats.

If for some wacky reason I wanted to crank it to 11... :rock: Would I be able to use an attenuation on the amp with the Torpedo Live?

Wow that sounds killer Rusted7cl! I was thinking about getting some Friedman mods but I would probably get rapped in shipping as I live in Canada.

By the looks of your amps volume you have the amp cranked??

Edit321":39o8dhhc said:
Wow that sounds killer Rusted7cl! I was thinking about getting some Friedman mods but I would probably get rapped in shipping as I live in Canada.

You could also try Fortin amps for your mods as he is in Ontario, Canada. He does some amazing work!

PBGas":3hh23qm1 said:
Edit321":3hh23qm1 said:

You could also try Fortin amps for your mods as he is in Ontario, Canada. He does some amazing work!

Thanks for the tip! I will def look into this.

Basstyra":2bflir7n said:
You will :) And actually, a simple -3 or -6dB attenuator may be enough.

Sorry to bump this old thread. I'm interested in this amp (Marshall 1959HW), and would like to crank it pretty loud. What do you recommend I use to attenuate it before the Torpedo Live?
Alternately, can the Torpedo Live handle a cranked Marshall 1987x Plexi 50w ?

Cheers!

Hi,

You could use a Reload, which can handle the approx 150W a 1959HW outputs when cranked up.

Alternatively, you could just add a Captor. Not as an attenuator: it can't handle 150W, but as an additional 8 ohms loadbox. Just put the 8 ohms 100W Torpedo Live and the 8 ohms 100W Torpedo Captor in parallel and voilà! You got yourself a 200W 4 ohms loadbox.

So you could just get an 8 ohms Captor, set the 1959HW to 4 ohms, connect the Live to one speaker output, and the Captor to the other, and you should be OK.

Basstyra":2jomyhh9 said:
Hi,

You could use a Reload, which can handle the approx 150W a 1959HW outputs when cranked up.

Alternatively, you could just add a Captor. Not as an attenuator: it can't handle 150W, but as an additional 8 ohms loadbox. Just put the 8 ohms 100W Torpedo Live and the 8 ohms 100W Torpedo Captor in parallel and voilà! You got yourself a 200W 4 ohms loadbox.

So you could just get an 8 ohms Captor, set the 1959HW to 4 ohms, connect the Live to one speaker output, and the Captor to the other, and you should be OK.

Excellent!
And regarding the 50 watt Marshall 1987x, cranking that should be well within the capabilities of the Torpedo Live on its own, correct?

Basstyra":aujhn5l8 said:
Hi,

One more question. Am I understanding correctly that I do not need to power the Captor if I am only using it as a load box? The manual reads "The Torpedo Captor does not need to be powered up to act as a loadbox.", however, I thought it needed to be cooled by the fan. So is power needed for the fan?

EDIT: I found the answer in the manual: "Fan powered by the amp: the phantom or external power supply is not needed."

Back