Captor/C.A.B. Combo

r1zzo

I’ve owned a Captor for about 2 months now and have been using it with my DAW for recording. Works great. I decided to purchase a C.A.B. for live use. I’m using Torpedo Remote to set up the C.A.B. I’m running a real head/cab. I have the Captor placed between them. I am running from the line out of the Captor into the C.A.B. I have few questions.

1) Where should the levels hit on the input and output meters on Remote for optimal sound? From what I’ve seen online it should be around the yellows/greens. I’m colorblind so I believe that is about halfway up the meter (not sure of the actual number on the meter).

2) Obviously there is no input level knob so I’m just using the line out level from the Captor to control the input level of the C.A.B. Is that correct?

3) I am wanting to send the C.A.B. signal to FOH at line level but we are running an in-ear system so all of our signals go into a splitter box that sends the signals to our IEM system and a split to FOH. All of the inputs on that splitter are XLR so what is the best way to convert the line level output back to mic level? DI box like a RapcoHorizon DBBlox or something like the Whirlwind IMP Pad? Suggestions?

Hi r1zzo,

1) Where should the levels hit on the input and output meters on Remote for optimal sound? From what I’ve seen online it should be around the yellows/greens. I’m colorblind so I believe that is about halfway up the meter (not sure of the actual number on the meter).

The orange zone starts at -12dB, but you're safe as long as you don't hit the red too much.

2) Obviously there is no input level knob so I’m just using the line out level from the Captor to control the input level of the C.A.B. Is that correct?

That is correct.

3) I am wanting to send the C.A.B. signal to FOH at line level but we are running an in-ear system so all of our signals go into a splitter box that sends the signals to our IEM system and a split to FOH. All of the inputs on that splitter are XLR so what is the best way to convert the line level output back to mic level? DI box like a RapcoHorizon DBBlox or something like the Whirlwind IMP Pad? Suggestions?

I don't see the need to convert to a wicker level, just use a jack TRS -> XLR cable and you're good to go! Or put a DI between the CAB and the splitter, if you want more insulation from the rest of the chain (useless if the splitter is a proper transformer insulated splitter).

Back