Phase issue - Torpedo Live

bbk

Hello

I own Torpedo Live and mainly use OwnHammer impulses.

I`ve been testing before I decided to order Torpedo. One of test was comparing two sounds - amp with mic`ed cab and the same amp with captured impulse. I recorded the same riff with both option , panned mic`ed take hard left, torpedo take hard right and than I found something strange. Real cabinet take had continuos sound but cab impulse take behaved like some kind of loop and it phase was changing during playing. I decided that it is not a problem and ordered Torpedo but last days, during session, I recorded some overdubs with OH impulses and noticed that phase of both guitar, L and R, changes but not at the same moment - so phase shifting randomly what makes overdubs incoherent. It doesn`t sound solid for me so maybe I do something wrong / I use impulses in test mode/ and You guys know how to resolve.

Regards
Bart

bbk":lnjfsisn said:
Hello

I own Torpedo Live and mainly use OwnHammer impulses.

I`ve been testing before I decided to order Torpedo. One of test was comparing two sounds - amp with mic`ed cab and the same amp with captured impulse. I recorded the same riff with both option , panned mic`ed take hard left, torpedo take hard right and than I found something strange. Real cabinet take has continuos sound but cab impulse take behaves like some kind of loop and it phase changes during playing. I decided that it is not a problem and ordered Torpedo but last days, during session, I recorded some overdubs with OH impulses and noticed that phase of both guitar, L and R, changes but not at the same moment - and phase shifting randomly between overdubs. It doesn`t sound solid for me so maybe I do something wrong / I use impulses in test mode/ and You guys know how to resolve.

Regards
Bart

IME they don't go together on 1 take. You'll need to phase align the TNL track with the mic track. You could eye it up but there's plugins out there that will snap that together quickly.

It is impossible to align them because phase shift is not constant. It changes often /sounds like some kind of short loop/ and it changes on both takes because both was recorded with Torpedo - I think it might be a side effect of impulse technology but I am not sure - that`s why I am asking here.

Hi bbk, can I ask you how you check the phase?

And also could you share both takes so we take a look?

torpedo Live + mics are used all the time on stage, even yesterday I was with a band explaining that the Live had 1.7ms latency so they need to time align, the mixer did in a second and everything went perfectly fine. :confused:

I hear that clearly but I understand that it is not very science way to prove it :) At this moment I am not talking about situation where mic is involved. I am talking about two takes recorded with Torpedo and both are "looping" in different moment so phase corelation between them changes with every "loop". I will try to deliver sound samples.

Back