Captor direct monitoring issue?

florianhegger

Hi,

I have just recently bought the Captor and want to use the Wall of Sound plugin with my Engl Ritchie Blackmore amp for silent recording things.
The problem is that the sound I get in my DAW (Cubase 8 Pro) is quite bad, harsh. It seems to me that the plugin in the insert track does not change the sound
in any perspective. What I listen to might be the Line Out signal coming from the Captor and running through my audio interface.
My interface is the Zoom Tac-2 (Thunderbolt) but it does NOT support the "direct monitoring" function.

If the direct monitoring might be the problem, I don´t understand the method anymore.
I thought "direct monitoring" means that I listen to the track before plugins come into play - so what´s the use of the WOS plugin if
it only works when direct monitoring is activated ?? I don´t get it.

It seems to me as if I have to listen to a blend of the dry amp signal from the line out of the captor and a cabinet from the WOS.
Does that indicate that the audio interface is the problem?

I would be really cool if someone could help me out.

Thanx n regards
Florian

Attachments

• Miking Off.mp3
    547.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Miking Recto Over Cabinet.mp3
    547.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Sound while playing.mp3
    547.6 KB · Views: 78
Hi!
So... you and me are not alone in this world with same amp and captor.
I have one Engl Blackmore like you, one Captor 8ohm and I try 2 different sound cards, 1 zoom R16 and 1 Roland Rubix 22 with direct monitor.

In both cases sound harsh, like you said and fizzy.
I try different wall of sound cabinets, but all have nasty hi end sound around 2.4k and 4k. Even analog Guitar Sim from capture sound hars too.

Here are some demo files recorded with 2 notes

1 - is recorded Clean with ANALOG guitar speaker Emu - >> XLR output of two notes capture ->> to my Zoom R16 audio interface.
1 - is recorded Clean with 2 Notes Plugin speaker without AMP SIM Emu ->>1/4" output of two notes capture ->>to my Zoom R16 audio interface.
1 - is recorded in with ANALOG guitar speaker Emu - >> XLR output of two notes capture ->> to my Zoom R16 audio interface.
1 - is recorded Distortion Channel of my Engl E650 with 2 Notes Plugin speaker without AMP SIM Emu ->>1/4" output of two notes capture ->>to my Zoom R16 audio interface.
[url=https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgGRQniF...ps://1drv.ms/f/s!AgGRQniFWTJNhlMo_IgPR-drwosX[/url]

Hi florianhegger,

ok the 3rd sample is obviously the sound coming from the Captor without any speakersim. And the recorded track with WoS sounds fine to me, so, well, the only parameter left is how you monitor your input signal, while you shouldn't monitor it while playing and only the track with FX (WOS).

What's often called direct monitoring in sequencers is the direct monitoring of a track with its effects, that's what you want.

BUT, some soundcard allow for the musician to hear the direct input signal, so you must have a function like that somewhere (and it can be called direct monitoring, but that's another one, HA!), and you must try to get rid of it.

Please read the page 12 of the manual and tell me if this helps:

https://zoom-na.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_TAC-2R.pdf

I would set that function OFF.

Rhandy, please check your soundcard manual a deactivate the direct monitor wherever it is.

In zoom r16 i disable direct monitor using this knob
phonesonly.jpg

I think my captor maybe have any problem.
When i use my Gain channel on my Engl Blaclmore I have to put my Lead Presence all down to 1 for not have harsh sound. I set the output knob on captor to 3 and the level on zoom r1 for only blink -6db. But sound still not natural I feel some digital higher frequency real bad to my ears.
Sorry for my english, is not my language.

Hi,

thanks for your answers!

finally the audio interface (Zoom Tac 2 - without the direct monitoring function) was the problem.
I bought the Focusrite 2i2 with the direct monitoring function and switched it on. Only then I get the cabinet sound coming from the WOS. If I switch it off (the direct monitoring) then I get the dry amp output on my headphones. I learned that from the dry/wet knob in WOS which gives me the dry amp signal in the plugin, doesn´t it?

@Rhandy
Could the amp Engl Blackmore be problematic for such a method because it´s such a loud amp? Normally, that amp should work just like others...
Maybe it´s too high-gainish?
Greets
Florian

@ Floriannhegger

I use the same amp you use, Engl Ritchie Blackmore signature.
I think my Captor maybe have any issue. If I use -20db output the sound output in more scooped and have much more highs.

You solve your problem! Great! Now i´m returning my captor and wait for other.

Rhandy I highly doubt your captor has an issue, I just don't understand what you're trying to do.

When playing on a cabinet plugged into the -20dB output (so no soundcard, just the cabinet, right?), the Captor output will deliver a slightly frequency compensated sound; You'll find several videos showing that. it's to help your hearing, as the ear is less sensitive at lower volume to high and low frequency.

If you want a 100% transparent attenuator, you need our Torpedo reload, which is an entirely different technology.

Back