playing live with the captor and cab sounds bad

mrcreed67

As the title suggests ..it sounds bad ..at home it sounds wonderful.I am using as similar cab to the one i use normally .using Celestion G12h30 `s ,But nothing i do makes it react like a real cab or fill the room like a real cab .Im so disappointed as i have the reload and use it as an attenuator and that unit is supremely good ,,What am i doing wrong ..I am using balanced cables and the amp is going directly into the captor . I am taking an xlr feed out to the desk to power it via phantom power.I have a balanced cable from the line out to the line in (set to line) on the c.a.b. that then is sent via a balanced cable to the desk ..the selector is set to line (not amp).I am using a nice Allen and heath desk and all the indicators show im not clipping .The desk is plugged into a alto ts 210 pa speakers liek this one https://www.altoproaudio.com/products/ts210
As i said before on headphones and on my pc monitors (fostex) it sounds fab .Please help

thankyou in advance

Hey mrcreed67,

the setup you have at home seems perfect, so what's different when you play live? What monitors do you have? Because that must be the main différence.

Also, do you bring the Allen mixer with you on stage?

Hi :
I use the altos on stage https://www.altoproaudio.com/products/ts210 and i use the allen and heath desk live too ..i have tried my live rig at home and it sounds great ..just fell apart at a gig the other night ..i used it a gig before with an amp that is nowhere as good as my marshall and it sounded great ..the only difference was the time it sounded bad i put my vocals through the same pa cab

Hello:
Is there any idea what im doing wrong ..perhaps im expecting too much ..I have to say on headphones and at home it sounds amazing .I really want this product to work ..

mrcreed67":38sz82jh said:
Hi :
I use the altos on stage https://www.altoproaudio.com/products/ts210 and i use the allen and heath desk live too ..i have tried my live rig at home and it sounds great ..just fell apart at a gig the other night ..i used it a gig before with an amp that is nowhere as good as my marshall and it sounded great ..the only difference was the time it sounded bad i put my vocals through the same pa cab

I have a feeling that the XLR out from the captor - with no cab sim - is getting into the feed, and that any output from the CAB is being overwhelmed. It may be that the monitoring or some other aspect of the overall mix is different when you're on stage and mixing vocals into the board and it's making it behave differently from when you're at home. It may be that the overall gain structure is getting overwhelmed, or that the "dry" signal from the Captor is getting back into the mix from a insert or effect feed based on some other configuration issue when you add the vocal mike(s) to the mix - something that may not be obvious and not addressed by just turning the volume down on that channel.

I would try powering the captor from a regular power source rather than the board to see if it makes a difference in a stage situation. You also might try using a DI on the CAB output so you can use an XLR cable into the board rather than a balanced TRS type cable. It may be that the XLR inputs have preamps and more control than a line in (even if balanced), and that it's somehow affecting the mix.

Good luck!

Yes i think it was the line level was too high and possibly the cable to the desk using the phantom power may have been unmuted ..thanks ..i since stopped using the C.A.B and used the built in speaker sim and had a stellar sound the other day .I think its been a case of little problems each time and not finding the source ..thanks for your help sir .

Back