Can’t get Torpedo Reload to work with Apollo Twin and Logic

dcphillip

So I just picked up a Torpedo Reload in order to record silently in my apartment with my tube amps, and also to reamp some DI guitar tracks that are already recorded in several projects. I was so excited to get the Reload up and running, but I’ve wasted my entire weekend trying to just get a signal out of it and am about to give up on the thing altogether. Here’s how I have it set up:

Logic X sending signal through Apollo Twin via Output Line 3 (Balanced 1/4” cable) > Line in of Replay section > instrument cable from Replay out to Marshall head input > Marshall speaker out (8 ohm) to speaker in of Reload (8 ohm) > load box out to Apollo preamp input 2 via XLR to 1/4” balanced > DI output from Reload to preamp 1 of Apollo via XLR to 1/4” balanced

Nothing I’ve done configuring the I/O’s in Logic has gotten me anything other than high pitched squeal from the Marshall and intermittent feedback. Using my Fender Twin I’ve gotten no signal at all. I’m hoping this is a matter of Logic and Apollo’s Console 2.0 being unnecessarily complicated and non-user friendly. If anyone has a solution, and can explain it to me like I have a severe learning disability, it’d be greatly appreciated. I really want to love this Reload box if I can ever get it working.

I’m wondering if part of the problem is the XLR to balanced TRS not working with the Apollo’s input. I’ve used this cable type with other interfaces to get line levels, but am wondering if the setup is incompatible in this scenario. I’m going to grab an xlr to xlr mic cable from my practice space later, but I’m curious if knows for sure whether these cable types are the issue

I would recommend you get each individual aspect of the Reload's functions sorted individually and then you can combine them to get the result you want.

1) make sure you can hear your DI tracks previously recorded through your headphones or studio monitors. Then re-assign them to output 3 and if possible monitor that output. You can use a rack effect with a led input meter, an old cassette recorder etc. or worst case, route output 3 back into your daw input 1 to assure you have a signal (obviously, make sure input 1 isn't routed to out 3 by any path)

2) test your guitar to either amp, speaker out to the reload speaker input, loadbox output to your daw. You need to see the signal either on input mode or by recording a short segemnt. No need to monitor this, but you could via headphones or monitors

3) test the re-amping using your DI tracks that are confirmed coming out of output 3. First, you should see a indication on the reload that their is signal. Replay should be set to a nominal volume, start somehwere noon-ish. You could set the amp running with speakers normally but at a whisper volume and assure the DI track is now coming to and out of the amp.

Finally, with everything connected, in order to play into the DI and simultaneously have the signal reach the amp, you need to route the signal in your DAW or I/O manager (in your case, Apollo Thunbolt manager) so that the DI signal goes both to the DAW input and back out to the replay (output 3). This issue is discussed many times on this and other forums and iirc, was solved in all cases. Also, make sure to only do this once either in Apollo or in Logic, not both.

Hey Andy,

Thanks a ton for the info! I think I’ve been frustrated with the Reload box when a lot
of the issue lies with both myself and the ridiculous obfuscation that apollo’s console 2.0 is causing. My old Focusrite never gave me this much trouble.

So I swapped out my cables for just standard mic cables and I’m getting signal now. The initial reamping sounded like shit, but I think that’s more a matter of figuring out the interplay between Logic and Apollo. I plugged my guitar straight into the amp and out of the load box into the interface,
and could hear the signal from my amp loud and clear. The problem I’m having now is that when the amp signal comes in through Console, it ignores the WoS instance I have open on my Logic track. I’m having a helluva time figuring out how to monitor one single mix with my UAD plugins in Console and WoS in Logic without a weird doubled signal and latency or without WoS being left out of the mix. If anyone’s familiar with either software and has some tips on routing, that’d be great. Otherwise, I can just pester the folks on the UAD forum.

Thanks again!

Hi, progress is good. I am a Logic power user but have never touched the Apollo software. That being said, most hardware interfaces now have a companion software for routing and in some cases, DSP application and I have a bit of familiarity there.

Apollo uses on board DSP to allow users to route through their plug-ins with minimal latency while tracking but that doesn't mean that your library of Audio Unit plugins with Logic are now also without latency. You can alter Logic's behavior by having a low buffer setting (in Audio prefs) for tracking and then switching to a higher setting for mixing. This will give better plugin performance and allow more plug-ins. Most DAW's, Logic X included, will compensate for the plug-ins latency so your tracks are in sync but this doesn't apply as tracks are being monitored as they are being recorded.

One great tactic to make your process easier would be to record your amps to Logic as you are doing, but monitor via a near zero latency option. That way you would be hearing what you play and you later have all the options in the world to play with your sounds in WOS. You could use an Apollo amp sim for this, record your amp at whisper volume via the Reload speaker out and a mic or use an EQ plug in on the monitor path with everything above 6k chopped off. In all cases, make sure the track you are actually recording is the unaffected Reload output - the one that doesn't sound very good until you add WOS.

Back