Captor Volume Too Low

Stsilas

Hi, I am having problems getting a good sound from may captor. I am using a 50 watt Marshall JVM into the 16ohm captor out to my Focusrite Clarrett 4Pre interface. I turn the master volume on the amp up to about 2 oclock which through a speaker would deafen you. I then turn the captor up to around 2 oclock as well. My interface has to be almost up all the way to get even a decent volume. The problem is that turning the interface up causes too much noise. I find that the output volume sweep on the captor affects the tone ALOT. At noon it sounds trebly and thin and gets bassier as I turn it up. So volume and tone are tied together which is odd especially with such small moves. I feel like I am struggling to get enough volume into the captor or out of it to the interface without turning my interface up completely. I have tried the xlr out and the trs line out. both are weak. I also find that if i turn down my interface and turn up the captor out volume the noise is ridiculous as well as the tone gets bassier. Should the captor need to be turned almost all the way up to be sending a strong enough signal to run my interface preamp at normal levels? Any input would help....also I am NOT using the cab sim. Its into WOS. Thanks

Hi Stsilas,

by any chance, are you using the XLR out and not sending phantom power or other kind of power supply to it?

The output of the Captor is pretty hot, you shouldn't have any volume issue.

I have used xlr with phantom power as well as the trs line out (obviously without 48v). I have to turn my interface up all the way as well as the captor up to 3 o'clock. The noise floor is horrible for recording. I have felt the captor is weak. Not sure what's up. Frustrating for sure.

Stsilas that is not normal at all, something is wrong but without being in the same room as you it's hard to tell what it is.

Maybe return the Captor, but we barely see any failing, I would search for a defective cable or maybe something wrong with the interface, if with a new Captor you keep having issues. Would you beable to test the Captor without your soundcard, with just a mixer for example?

Hi, the interface is new and works perfectly. Tried multiple cables. I don't have an external mixer to try. Also, should the captor change tone when turning up? It gets more treble from 1 o'clock even up to 2 o'clock. The volume doesn't raise much but the tone of the signal definitely does. Thanks

All of that is weird, just ask for a return and see how the new one works, I'm afraid can't help you more than that without actually seing the unit and/or your system.

Back