Torpedo Captor LINE vs DI connection preference

scottjpsmith

Hey guys,

As I learn more about recording and setting up my home studio I want to make sure I'm doing everything optimally so I wanted to see what y'all recommend.

For about a year I have been running the Captor from the LINE OUT using TRS to XLR into the MIC input of my PreSonus Studio 2|6 interface with the LINE setting engaged on the interface and getting great results.

I recently picked up a Presonus Studio 192 that has dedicated LINE inputs on the back, unlike the Studio 2|6.

I've tried both LINE out to MIC preamp in, and also LINE out to LINE in with the Studio 192, and for some reason the LINE out to LINE in didn't sound quite as alive as going LINE out into the MIC input. Presuming that's because of the gain added by the mic preamps.

While going through the manual and watching demos I noticed the majority of people are connecting the Captor using the active DI output powered by phantom power with the switch set to off, presumably connected to the mic input of their interface as is recommended by the manual.

Pros and cons of LINE out to LINE in VS powered DI out with cab sim off into MIC input of the interface?

Also, I believe you can set the output knob to any setting using LINE out. I feel like I remember seeing a video where someone was using the Active DI out and pushed the knob too far resulting in an undesirable sound. Not sure if he was using the cab sim in that situation or not but just want to know if that is something to consider if I end up buying a balanced XLR to XLR and try the active DI out into the MIC preamp of the Studio 192.

How do y'all have yours connected? Any insight would be awesome!

Pros and cons of LINE out to LINE in VS powered DI out with cab sim off into MIC input of the interface?

On the XLR out you have The speakersim, plus better rejection of (possible) hum happening when connecting the amp to your mixer/soundcard using the CAptor (ground loop).

I will use the jack out if I need the Captor in conjunction with a Torpedo CAB for example (using ALWAYS balanced connection) and the XLR if I have to go to a stage box/mixer/soundcard. i'll be using the phantom provided bt that gear, while the CAB or other effect units don't have it.

I feel like I remember seeing a video where someone was using the Active DI out and pushed the knob too far resulting in an undesirable sound.

I'd be interested in that video if you can find the link. Like any product, if you max out a a parameter, or don't adjust the gain staging properly,you can expect some unwanted effects.

Does the CAB M+ allow for speaker sim output on the XLR DI output and uncompensated output (no cab sim) on the TRS line out at the same time so you can, say, send the XLR compensated signal to a mixer and the TRS uncompensated signal to a slave power amp?

Back