New Torpedo CAB M! Use with Captor?

gazman83

Hey guys,

This looks amazing!

Can you explain how I use it with an amp and the Captor? I would mainly only use Headphones, and not an audio interface or mixer.

Thanks

Hi gazman83,

the best way to connect everything would be:

amp speaker out -> Captor Amp in ->Captor line out -> CAB M Line in -> headphones out

Use a TRS jack connector to keep the connexion balanced between the Captor and the CAB and you're all set!

Thanks guillaume!

What headphones would you recommend to use with the CAB M, closed or open?

Also what ohm's can the heapdhone out drive? I have some Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's @ 250ohm's that I would like to use.

Well you have a good headphones already, i use the DT770 or the K271 alternatively. Just keep in mind that the higher the impedance, the less you'll have volume in the headphones. CAB M has a 12V PSU, we can't have a very powerful headphones amp. ;)

Thanks guillaume - Do you think Closed Back Heapdhones (like the DT770 and K271) work better with CAB M, versus Open backs?

Also, do you know what ohm's version of the DT770's you use?

We use the studio version so it must be pretty high, I honestly don't remember. Volume is not crazy high, but we work in a silent environment.

I actually have no preference between close or open headphones, I am lucky to have awesome monitors and I use them as much as possible, I don't like too much playing with headphones ha ha.

Hi. New here ...

I've just bought a Captor (waiting for it to arrive) and am considering a CAB M to go with it, but have a couple of questions:

1. I understand that its recommended to use a balanced TRS cable between the Captor and CAB M. If I was to put wet effects between the Captor and CAB M, should all the patch cables also be balanced TRS?
I know that Two Notes suggest putting wet effects after the CAB M, but this way if I'm using the headphone jack I won't hear the delay and reverb.

2. When using the Captor, could I use both the balanced DI out (with cab sim to PA) and Dry Line out (going through the CAB M and wet effects then to the PA) at the same time? I was thinking that this would enable me to achieve a wet-dry rig using one amp head.

Any help greatly appreciated.

1. I understand that its recommended to use a balanced TRS cable between the Captor and CAB M. If I was to put wet effects between the Captor and CAB M, should all the patch cables also be balanced TRS?

If the effects that you put in between do not provide a balanced operation, there is no point in using TRS connectors. Take a look at your effects manual.

2. When using the Captor, could I use both the balanced DI out (with cab sim to PA) and Dry Line out (going through the CAB M and wet effects then to the PA) at the same time? I was thinking that this would enable me to achieve a wet-dry rig using one amp head.

yes you can do that, just keep in mind that one line will be 100% analog (Captor DI lut with speakersim -> mixer) and the other will have some digital latency (CAB M). On digital consoles it's easy to add a short delay on the analog line to make sure both lines have the same latency, but if you can"'t do that, mixing the two lines in mono may lead to some phasing sound that is not great.

Back