Software Noise Gate?

invoke

Hi there,

I just bought a mesa dual rectifier and torpedo captor. I'm pretty green when it comes to serious high gain amps. Do I need to run an outboard noise gate if I am running the captor direct into my interface or can I just use a software noise gate in front of the wall of sound plugin?

Thanks!

invoke":22xl12ni said:
Hi there,

I just bought a mesa dual rectifier and torpedo captor. I'm pretty green when it comes to serious high gain amps. Do I need to run an outboard noise gate if I am running the captor direct into my interface or can I just use a software noise gate in front of the wall of sound plugin?

Thanks!

I have never found noise gate software that is as good as noise suppressor hardware. Even a Boss NS2 pedal has always worked better for me.
Now with that said, I was thinking of spending on an ISP Decimator rack, but instead, I put my money into clean power.

I got a Power Conditioner. Even the cheapest Furman will work on that front.
Then I eliminated all daisy chaining with my pedal board and power my pedals using a multi-adapter pedal power box. Spend on these as the cheap ones are just daisy chains in a box.

I can crank my high gain amps and no noise. Like nothing. It's silent until I touch the guitar. Hit my boost pedal... hardly noise.

I can tell you this much. My recordings sound better through a good clean power setup with no hissing than a noise suppressor to control the hissing.

Wish I worked on eliminating the hiss this way from the start with power conditioning rather than hunting for noise suppressors.

Still the Boss NS-2 is great for the price.

Well, that's awesome because I just bought a furman power conditioner today. Thanks for the information and the response!

Back