Torpedo Wall of Sound Clipping... DAW & Interface Not.

D-Man213

Hi guys, this is my first post on the forum. Can anyone tell me why the Wall of Sound Input Gain & Output Volumes are clipping & my interface & DAW aren't? I'm not a recording expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I know a little. I've tried adding a High Pass Filter to remove some of the unwanted bass frequencies & turning the Input Gain down but I just get a weak tone & low volume. I've sent the Output to a Stereo Bus with EQ & Mastering software & I just can't get a useable tone.

Here's my chain so you guys know how I'm connected.

Guitar
Fortin Zuul Noise Gate
Horizon Devices Precision Drive
Revv G3
TC Electronic Hall of Fame 2 (Mono)
Fortin Roach (Buffered 3 Way Splitter)
One 1/4" cable connected to the left channel & one connected to the right into a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

I'm using Sonar X3 Producer Edition & have the Input set to the Focusrite 2i2 in Stereo.

I'm running the Fortin Beast Green & Uber75 cabs panned hard left & right. If you guys need any more info just ask. Thanks!

D-Man there is an input gain setting, what happens when you lower the input level in WoS?

You can get clipping if your track is very very close to the max volume.

guillaume_pille":4vtmnncy said:
D-Man there is an input gain setting, what happens when you lower the input level in WoS?

You can get clipping if your track is very very close to the max volume.

Hi guillaume_pille! Thanks for the reply. I have tried lowering the Input Gain. I have lowered it all the way to -12db & it still clips.

I was told by someone who knows how to record (Misha Mansoor of Periphery), that I want to set the Input Gain on my interface as high as it will go without clipping & then tweak & adjust in my DAW as necessary.

Funny thing is... when I use my Torpedo CAB M I don't have any problems with clipping or low volume. It sounds amazing. I just wanted to use WoS because you can use 2 different cabs at the same time & get some really cool tones. Using 2 cabs at the same time isn't possible with the CAB M is it? The only options I see in Torpedo Remote is to use 1 cabinet with 2 different microphones.

Hey guillaume_pille. Here's a quick little test I did with my new Torpedo CAB M. It's a really simple setup & I haven't really tweaked it too much yet. I'm running an XLR cable from the CAB M into the left channel of my Scarlett 2i2.

This is just 2 guitars. I have the Fortin Beast Green panned hard left & the Uber75 panned hard right. I went with a Dynamic 421 & 57 on both cabs. I messed around with the axis & distance until I ended up with some kind of crazy custom setup that sounded good to my ears at the time. lol! I'll have to go back to Remote & see what the settings are.

I have to say that I really love this little white box that lives on the end of my pedalboard. This is the first time I've been able to get a decent guitar tone on my pc. I probably need to take some recording classes, but I just don't have the time. Maybe some of you guys could give me some tips?

https://soundcloud.com/user-892506283/two-notes-torpedo-cab-m-raw-mix-level-test/s-6HebG

Using 2 cabs at the same time isn't possible with the CAB M is it? The only options I see in Torpedo Remote is to use 1 cabinet with 2 different microphones.

Using 2 cabinets is exclusive to WoS and Torpedo Studio.

I was told by someone who knows how to record (Misha Mansoor of Periphery), that I want to set the Input Gain on my interface as high as it will go without clipping & then tweak & adjust in my DAW as necessary.

Well the rule is actually to set your average level around -12 to -16 dbFS to avoid any possible clipping. With a 24 bits resolution, it's not necessary to push the gain to the extreme limit.

Still, it's VERY weird that you are able to clip the input of WoS with just a guitar track that's not clipping. You have nothing else on that track (effects before WoS)? Could you share with us your project file so we take a look?

Back