Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Fri, Jan 24, 2020 1:27pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 10, 2020 2:32pm 
Hack

Are you human?: 951
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to the Torpedo Reload, and I'm trying to wrap my head around the connections in/out of the Reload related directly to using DAW-based (or audio interface based) software plug-ins. I've read the manual a few times, and I have scoured the Net regarding this topic, but no luck. Hence my writing this post. I would really appreciate your feedback and any help you could offer.

Here's the breakdown of what I'm hoping to achieve:

I just purchased new software plug-ins (from Neural DSP and also BIAS FX2 and BIAS Amp2 from Positive Grid, not to mention a couple of amp plug-ins specific to my UA Apollo audio interface). I was excited to dive right into these plug-ins, and see how each sounded through my Mesa Roadster with 4x12 Mesa cab... But because I like my neighbours, I decided to also purchase a Torpedo Reload so it can be attenuated while I'm actively playing live.

Now I am sincerely stumped at how things need to be connected (i.e. cable-wise from my guitar to my Apollo Twin audio interface, and then to/from the Torpedo Reload), in order to play any of these plug-ins through my "attentuated" Mesa cab.

I know that I could easily just exclude the Torpedo Reload from the entire signal chain, and just run an out from my Apollo to the RETURN of my Mesa's FX Loop, but that won't win me any points with the neighbours. So I need to incorporate the Torpedo Reload into this signal chain.

Can someone please, please help me? I apologize in advance if there's a previous thread on this Forum related to this topic.

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 16, 2020 12:07pm 
Hack

Hello Jaysun

technically wise, you can plug your guitar in the DI input of Torpedo Reload. send this signal through the Torpedo DI out to your Apollo. Then From the Apollo you go back to the line in of Torpedo Reload. use Amp out of Torpedo Reload to go to the amp input. Connect the amp speaker's output to the Speaker IN of the Reload and connect the cabinet to the Speaker out of the Reload to your cabinet.
you will need to activate direct monitoring in your DAW so that you can listen to your plugins in real time.

Kind regards

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 16, 2020 3:36pm 
Hack

Thanks for the response, and I appreciate it. However, I don't think this will get the results I'm looking for. I'm a newbie to Torpedo Reload, so perhaps I'm wrong in what I'm about to say. The connections that you suggest are fine - in fact, what you suggest is what's already documented in the Reload manual.

And all of that is fine... However, I think to properly use a plugin (i.e. amp simulator in my case, such as NTS, Nameless, BIAS AMP2, etc.), I've always been told - and I've read it everywhere - that the signal path needs to steer away from your amp's instrument input (which is the connection that you suggest below). Instead, plugins like this should be connected from your audio interface (out) to the amp RETURN on your FX Loop. The rationale is obviously to not introduce any colouration from my amp's PREAMP. By using the Return, it effectively bypasses the PREAMP section and only uses the power-amp section.

I understand in theory how this should connect... I'm just gun-shy about doing this, considering that I just spent $5000 on a Mesa, and $1000 for this Reload. Was hoping that this is a common connection that everyone knows how to do... But I'm finding that's not the case at all, and not sure why.