Introducing Torpedo Captor X - For tube amp lovers.

Dilan - Two notes

Two notes Audio Engineering announce the Torpedo Captor X at Winter NAMM 2020 (Hall D, Booth 5647).

Torpedo Captor X is a premium compact reactive load box, tube amp attenuator, miked cab simulator, IR loader and stereo expander for home, live and studio use.
Torpedo Captor X allows you to go directly to the PA and audio interface with studio-grade cabinet simulations using Two notes Virtual Cabinets and 3rd party IRs. It is also a portable solution to your amp being too loud; you can play your tube amp at its sweet spot and control your volume with the attenuator, anywhere. You can even enjoy your 100 watt rig in silence with an immersive headphone experience.

Torpedo Captor X brings new features to the Torpedo Captor family including a Stereo Expander (Stereo Reverb and Twin Tracker), Enhancer, Voicing, Noise Gate and XLR DI outputs with 3 routing options (Stereo, Dual Mono and Dry / Wet). Two notes offer a legendary backline of speaker cabinets and microphones and you can pair Torpedo Captor X with your phone, tablet, computer or MIDI controller for effortless control.
Watch the official video below

Everything you need to know about Torpedo Captor X is at http://www.two-notes.com/torpedo-captorx .

Very cool product!

But...I wonder, as a Torpedo Live owner, where do the difference lie now if you want to use them as a stand-alone attenuator/loadbox/IR-loader?

I'd recon the Captor X adds the TwinTracker stuff as well as being able to be configured from one's phone, whereas the Live would typically still need to be connected to a PC for ease of editing of patches, right?

Am I missing something or would the Captor be able to cannibalize on the Live, aside from those needing S/PDIF output or the 19" format? I can imagine that the Tube Power amp emulator isn't the biggest selling point of the Live to begin with.

Interesting.
I have the Captor 8 ohms and really didn't like as a loadbox. Could not get a decent tone, even with IR loaded.

Is it my impression, or the Captor X only have 8 ohms option?

Hello Del Rei.

The load box of the Torpedo Captor X is designed for 8 ohms amps.

The load box is the same as the Captor, but the attenuation has a new step which brings the level down by 38 dB.

I liked the video you made with your Friedman going into the Torpedo Captor 8, and the comparison between the sound with and without the Captor on your youtube channel.

If the impedance curve would have been changed to the one used in the Suhr Reactive Load I would buy this thing immediately...

C.O.D.":xfl5q04x said:
If the impedance curve would have been changed to the one used in the Suhr Reactive Load I would buy this thing immediately...

Just curious if you're going off that people say it's better or if you know more about it and like that actual speaker impedance curve better?

Adambomb":1v6i36kd said:
C.O.D.":1v6i36kd said:

Just curious if you're going off that people say it's better or if you know more about it and like that actual speaker impedance curve better?

Compared them side by side and sold the Captor and kept the SRL since I liked it more. But I'm a Greenback fan and the impedance curve of the SRL is exactly that...

But I'm a Greenback fan and the impedance curve of the SRL is exactly that...

Well, the impedance of the speaker itself is a part of it, and it's a very respectable approach from Suhr. But having 1,or 4 speakers and the type of cabinet also influences the impedance curse. So, what is it?

We have a different approach by designing an "average" load that works better (for me) with any virtual cabinet or IR.

What's the point of having the impedance curve of a specific cabinet if you load the IR of another one?

In the end, I think that what matters is the result you get on your track or playing with headphones, to each their own. ;)

But...I wonder, as a Torpedo Live owner, where do the difference lie now if you want to use them as a stand-alone attenuator/loadbox/IR-loader?

I'd recon the Captor X adds the TwinTracker stuff as well as being able to be configured from one's phone, whereas the Live would typically still need to be connected to a PC for ease of editing of patches, right?

Am I missing something or would the Captor be able to cannibalize on the Live, aside from those needing S/PDIF output or the 19" format? I can imagine that the Tube Power amp emulator isn't the biggest selling point of the Live to begin with.

Torpedo Live has the line input and power amp modeling, SPDIF output, rack format that can stand more heat than the small Captor X, direct interface and screen (there is just a few knobs on captor X, you cannot edit a preset on the unit itself). It's directed towards a different market, Live is still the solution for the pro touring musicians, I guess the home players will find better value i the Captor X.

guillaume_pille":105mgbbe said:

Torpedo Live has the line input and power amp modeling, SPDIF output, rack format that can stand more heat than the small Captor X, direct interface and screen (there is just a few knobs on captor X, you cannot edit a preset on the unit itself). It's directed towards a different market, Live is still the solution for the pro touring musicians, I guess the home players will find better value i the Captor X.
Thanks for that clarification.

Since I don't have a PC in my home studio, I would need to un-rack my Torpedo Live and bring it to a PC to edit any patches.
The Captor X would be easier for me in this regard...
Not complaining though as the Live has proven to be an awesome piece of machinery; but were I in the market today to buy such a device, the Captor X would get my vote as a stand-alone do-it-all solution.

Since I don't have a PC in my home studio, I would need to un-rack my Torpedo Live and bring it to a PC to edit any patches.

You can edit absolutely everything from the unit itself, but you can't load new cabinets, that's right.

Back