Torpedo Live Remote in bypass for using WOS plugins?

BatmansRigTalk

So I can either go line out from my amp or speaker input into my Torpedo Live. I found the power tubes on my amp to maybe have a better feel. So I unplugged the line in.

I realized I can sort of bypass Torpedo Remote by turning off the cab sim in Remote software. That way I can use the WOS plugin exclusively for cabs for blending multiple ones with some fx added. So I use Repear as my DAW and recorded a track. I wanted to use my Remote settings for a dual cab, dual mic setup in WOS. So I put it together in WOW the same as it was in Remote using the exact same settings in simulation mode. I noticed when I toggled between the Remote software and WOS that even though I had the same settings, they sounded somewhat different. The remote software sounds louder and more live. I noticed that in my DAW when recording that the WOS plugin seemed to have a weak signal and also the input and output levels weren't registering much in the plugin. They are in the DAW though. So in bypassing (am I really bypassing it?) does this give my DAW 100% control over the input and output levels of the WOS plugin? So do I just disregard these input and output levels in the plugin and focus only on the DAW levels.

Also if I stack plugins like several instances of WOS in the mix does each one's levels get handled individually by the DAW channels? Or is there anything additional I need to do? I guess I am just experiencing quite a difference between Remote and WOS than expected and am thinking maybe I have a setting wrong or is it just like this?

Also if stacking WOS plugins would I better off with a line in and emulate power tubes or am I going about it right using the full amp?

I suppose I would be better off trying to do the stacking with Remote (and I can) but I am just wondering if I went with my DAW how it would work and this is what I experienced.

Sorry for the long details.

If you hook up the Torpedo with a digital coax, you can change the system to send both the wet and dry signals. You can find this in both the device "Setup > Output" menu and inside the Torpedo Remote software under "Edit > Setup". I just record both and use the WoS on the dry track later on.

Regarding levels, if you hear them at different levels, then you are using the power amp or mic section to boost the signal. Try adjusting settings.

Regarding multiple instances of WoS, what are you trying to do? If you want multiple cabs, you should record dry and add all of the cabs in the same instance of WoS (it can do around 20 cabs per plugin). You shouldn't need multiple plugins per track. Just 1 per track or 1 per bus. If for some reason you really want to have 1 plugin per cab, you should make sure the VSTs are being processed in parallel and not an FX chain. You can do this with sends or, in something like S1, use a Splitter before the WoS plugin. In other words, if you want to run multiple cabs on a single guitar track, either use a single plugin with multiple cabs mixed in the plugin or use parallel plugins. You probably do not want to send the output of one WoS instance into the input of another WoS instance unless you are trying to do something like model a miced cab being played through another miced cab.

Regarding the plugin vs. remote, you can directly load a preset from your Torpedo Live into WoS. Check if you have the directories configured correctly. You can save the presets with the Remote "Preset Manager" and make sure the WoS preset directory is the same folder.

Thanks. That makes sense. When I meant multiple plugins I meant like other plugins in addition to WoS but your information is helpful there too. BTW I am on firmware 4.18

I was meaning to start doing some optical stuff with it as I have a Scarlett 18/20i 3rd gen. I used a standard phono cable to link the Torpedo spdif out with the optical in of the Scarlett. In Remote's setup manager I have 4 choices of output in the wet dry combinations. So are you saying I should record as a dry/dry and then change settings and do a wet/wet and use the dry with Wos by turning off the cabinet in Remote?

For the spdif, you need to use a digital coax cable. It isn't the same as a phono cable even though they look similar.

Set the menu output to dry/wet. This will send the left channel as your raw amp output and the right channel as the torpedo processed output. Make sure you set either the torpedo or Scarlett as the timing clock master, but not both. In your Scarlett, you want to send the spdif left to one host input, such as "spdif in left". Do the same for the right. You want to mute monitoring on the dry track in the Scarlett. Then in Reaper, create 2 Mono tracks. Assign 1 to the Spdif left (your amp) and one to spdif right (torpedo). You probably want to mute the amp sound and disable monitoring during recording in reaper for both. Arm both tracks and record. You should not hear either reaper track. You should hear the torpedo track routed from the Scarlett in to the monitoring out.

When you are done recording, unmute the dry track, mute the wet track, and add WoS to the dry track. The other track you can either keep around as a reference or delete. But I would mute it.

Regarding the fx chains. You can put WoS wherever you want. Consider it like a cabinet or post fx loop. So any plugin you put before WoS will be similar to being in the amp effects loop. Anything you put after will be like adding effects to a pre-recorded miced cab or FOH mixer.

fantom":dn3eltf2 said:
Set the menu output to dry/wet. This will send the left channel as your raw amp output and the right channel as the torpedo processed output.

I am learning to use the SETUP on remote to get a dry (direct from amp) and wet (processed) signal so that I can apply WOS after. Getting the dry to work with in Reaper is what I wanted to do. I don't have the right spdif cable so when I get that I will use it to split the signal up.

I also got a better tone working in WOS after so I can redo the IR and then I use that profile when playing again later through the Torpedo Live.

So it seems spdif will be the way forward and using the SETUP menu in remote the way to work dry and wet signals.

Thanks!

Thanks again. :rock:

So this is what I am doing.

So RCA digital coaxial cable from the Two Notes Torpedo Live to the Focusrite SPDIF input.
In Remote I used the SPDIF Frequency of 96kHz and changed the Output to Dry/Wet.
In Focusrite Control software I go to settings and make sure Sample Rate is 96 kHz, Clock Source is set to S/PDIF, Digital I/O mode is S/PDIF RCA.
S/PDIF Outputs in the Output Routing are set automatically. On my Scarlett 18i/20 3rd gen it says Playback 11-12 in the Output routing panel of the Control software.
Restart Focusrite for changes to take place.

REAPER
This is the DAW I use.
Options - Preferences
ASIO drivers, enable all inputs first to last and same for output range, first to last.
Sample Rate here is 96000 and block size is 256.
If you click ASIO Configuration you will see the Focusrite Control software settings you made, especially the change to Clock Source S/PDIF. Don't change anything here or you will likely have a hard crash on Windows.
When you add a track and right click the record button to add an input there is no spdif 1 and spdif 2 option from the dropdown. They aren't there when you enable the ASIO inputs from the list either. However Digital 1 and Digital 2 are. It appears that these are the inputs for the Torpedo Dry/Wet signal. Digital 1 will be dry and Digital 2 will be wet with the wet/dry setup in Two Notes Torpedo.
So I created two tracks, one for Digital 1 and the other for Digital 2 and now I record dry and wet at the same time.

So this is how I got it to work in Reaper. At least I think I am doing it right.

Back