Newb dork has dumbass question

Jwcorey

Hello everyone. I am a newb and a dork and I admit it. Freely. I'm also aware that odds are high I'm asking a question that could be answered in two seconds by someone else who is slightly more experienced than I am, and I will take my mocking and put-downs like a man.

I have the Torpedo CAB M and I am getting wayyyyy too much noise on this thing. None of my other gear (amps, audio interfaces, pedals, etc) has this trouble and it's 10x worse once I apply compressors or any kind of boost after the CAB M.

I would greatly appreciate any hints someone could give me as to what the problem is and how to fix it.

Never be afraid to ask questions! We were all newbs at one point, and many of us are still dorks! :)

Maybe check 3 things:

1) There is a 3-way gain switch on the side, make sure it's adapted to your input. Probably the middle position. Mine sometimes got jiggled, don't remember if it caused noise, but when it was too low, I had to turn the volume way up, which could cause noise.
2) I find that if the microphone gain(s) is/are too high, or if the preset volume is too high, that it can cause noise. Find the right balance.
3) Try the ground-lift button on the left-hand side. Depending on the situation, it might do something.

Note: my compressor is at the very beginning of my guitar chain. Imagine that the Cab M is an actual amp+cabinet... I'm not sure that you should put anything after it.

Back