New Torpedo Cab M buyer question

wsjh95

I am currently carrying a amp with me everywhere I go but now it is so heavy and don't want to carry it everywhere.
If i purchase the cab m will I be able to just put it at the end of my chain and directly go into the mixer via xlr out? or do i need one of those load boxes connected in the "speaker out"?

guitar -> pedalboard -> cab m "amp in" -> xlr output -> mixer/pa

Your scenario is perfect. That is precisely what I do with mine, at home, rehearsal, and gigs. You can either have a preamp on your pedal board, or use the one in the Cab M+. If you are not using your real amp, no need for a load box. For gigs, I use the setup you describe with a lightweight powered speaker (like a small stage monitor), then into the PA. It makes things very easy to carry around. Best of all, I have found that the sound is identical everywhere I go, which helps immensely.

This is exactly my question. I want to go direct to PA with the Cab M+, and a friend of mine says to get the best results, I need to switch off the internal preamp and put a boost pedal in front of the Cab M+.

Do I really need another pedal to go straight to PA with the Cab M+, or is the internal preamp good enough for live sound? The clean sounds are almost always good, but it's trickier getting a good lead tone with distortion.

This is exactly my question. I want to go direct to PA with the Cab M+, and a friend of mine says to get the best results, I need to switch off the internal preamp and put a boost pedal in front of the Cab M+.

Do I really need another pedal to go straight to PA with the Cab M+, or is the internal preamp good enough for live sound? The clean sounds are almost always good, but it's trickier getting a good lead tone with distortion.
Thanks for getting in touch. Ross from Two notes here. If you are just using the C.A.B. M+ and no amplifier, we would suggest keeping the preamp engaged for best results. If you want to get a great lead tone from this, we would suggest front-loading the C.A.B. M+ with an overdrive pedal or similar. Please let us know if there is anything else we can clarify!

Thanks for getting in touch. Ross from Two notes here. If you are just using the C.A.B. M+ and no amplifier, we would suggest keeping the preamp engaged for best results. If you want to get a great lead tone from this, we would suggest front-loading the C.A.B. M+ with an overdrive pedal or similar. Please let us know if there is anything else we can clarify!
Thanks for your response. I will have a chance to try the CAB M+ straight to PA next week. I will run guitar (humbucker) -> MXR Distortion + -> CAB M+ -> PA and see how it sounds. My other overdrive pedal option would be a Proco Rat.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I thought of a question - can I plug the CAB M+ into one of the DI boxes on the stage, or is it necessary to bypass the DI box and go straight to the mixer?

Today I had a gig in a dinner theater with a nice stage and professional sound guys. They mic'd my amp and it sounded fine. Then I plugged my guitar into the CAB M+ and played through a DI box to the PA.

The sound was rather anemic and wasn't nearly as lively as the amp, although the preamp and poweramp sims were activated. I know people can get excellent results straight to PA with the CAB M+, but how they do it is a mystery to me. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Hi @RigRookie
Thanks for getting in touch and we're sorry to hear this. Did you try plugging the C.A.B. M+ directly into the mixer by chance? In addition, do you know what DI box was being used?

Thanks

Ross

The DI Box was a BSS Audio AR133.
https://www.thomann.de/intl/bss_ar133.htm

We didn't have time to do a lot of testing, so there was no direct to mixer. The sound guy just checked the levels and said ok. But he also said the amp sounded much better.

A friend of mine suggests I disable the preamp and use a preamp pedal instead.

Hi @RigRookie

Thanks for getting back to me and sending through this information. We cant see why there would have been an issue using the DI box in this instance but there may have been something in the signal chain contributing to the thin sound you initially referred to. A preamp pedal can certainly help - especially if you are seeking more overdriven / breakup tones - however you should should be able to get a great clean tone using the C.A.B. M+. If you have a chance to test with the unit direct to mixer or simply via headphones and report back, that will certainly help us in getting to the bottom of this issue.

Kind regards,

Ross

Back