Variphase?

Rogue

I mess with this and it really seems completely random where I might end up. Currently I've got it cranked all the way to 100%. I was hoping to get a little better understanding of its function and if there's any rhyme or reason to settings.

The Variphi is a special feature, a little hard to handle I believe.

The value starts from OFF to 100%.

Beginning with 1%, it's like you add another microphone, identical to the one you selected (for example an SM57), that you slightly move away the first one. What you hear is the phase cancellation figure that logically appears, creating a periodical change in the sound. As you never reach the same position, the sound will change according to the value, with "a kind of" periodical figure that in reality is changing all the way. That is what you call "completely random", but this is what happens in reality. ;)

Ma recommendation : the Variphi is useful for fine tuning a sound you find already good. Start with OFF instead of 100%, adjust everything THEN play with the variphy.

Thanks guillaume. It's a cool feature and allows you to fine tune your sound. I do as you say, get a base sound and then turn that to see what happens. Currently, it's at 100%. That seems to be giving me a harder, more depthy sound.

Is there a description you could give for the range, say like at 0% it sounds X-ish, at 50% it sounds Y-ish, and 100% it sounds Z-ish? Is there any rhyme or reason like that or will its response be different depending on the mic and where it's at in the room?

guillaume_pille":22oeg4ys said:
will its response be different depending on the mic and where it's at in the room?

Exactly, so, 100% must not be the best value for every cab+mic+placement combination. ;)
Ah. That makes sense why it was always random where I ended up. I would move it to where I moved it to the last time I used it, but found I liked it better in a different position this time. I was confused by that. Makes sense now.

Thanks!

Back