GT800FX at lower volumes

jingle

I'll apologize in advance but this might be a stupid question, just wanted to make sure before making a purchase. How does the GT800FX perform at bedroom levels, I understand it is a solid state amp that doesn't need to be driven like a tube amp. Right now, I use a low powered studio monitor with Eleven Rack at home and a real tube amp head/cab during gigs. I don't really need it to be at whisper levels since I have my own room (but not sound proof) I just don't want to wake up the kids in the other rooms.

I was wondering if I can use the GT800FX both at home and outside during gigs (maybe using the same 2x12 cab), this will really simplify my equipment. Will there be a sacrifice in tone? Thanks!

Hi there,
I know of a couple of guitarists that are using the GT800FX at home, with kids asleep. The amp will sound the same from low gain all the way up to 12.
Where abouts are you based ? I will see if there is an easy way for you to try one.

My best regards
Matt

I was wondering if I can use the GT800FX both at home and outside during gigs (maybe using the same 2x12 cab), this will really simplify my equipment. Will there be a sacrifice in tone? Thanks!

Well, start simplify your equipment. If you want silent, loud or ear bleeding loud you have just find your new amp. It is a SS amp so at any volume you will have its lovely characteristics.

I know. I have this amp almost a year now and playing on bedroom, rehearsel or gig levels it performs. And have had no prolems at all.

Hope I helped ou out.

Greetings

the knock on solid state amps is that they have always sounded good at lower volumes and horrible at higher volumes.

The Matrix sounds amazing at any level. At the shop, I run the Matrix completely cranked and it never even clips.

great piece of gear

Thanks for the replies, I just bought one ... next to research are good passive speakers, I'd prefer FRFRs if I can use the speakers as a studio monitor at home and during practice (garage) or small gig. I like the form factor of the QSC K8 or K10 but they are active and I can't find any passive versions, I know people (DJs not guitarists) that uses them as their studio monitors at home.

The gt800fx with good PA speakers (instead of a conventional guitar (non full-range) CAB) is handy for solo playing (with backing tracks) too for those parties when the rest of the band is not invited :).

Jingle,

Congrats on our acquisition!
Passive cabs is the quest for a lot of guitar dudes. Just check the Fractal forum under Amps and cabs. There is a lot of inspiration to be found.

Enjoy and play that guitar

Thanks, but cabs have larger footprints than the standard PA monitors though I understand some guitarists prefer them since they are used to playing using cabs ... but for me i don't mind. Having said that, I have two 1x12 Jet City cabs arriving soon - an impulse buy since it seemed they were giving them away for like $150 each (cheaper than most unloaded cabs). The construction isn't bad either and I've read some positive reviews already. I originally planned to put a V30 and a GH12 but I heard about this EVM 12L Classic being favored for modelers so I need to do further research on them.

jingle":2y47nowe said:
I heard about this EVM 12L Classic being favored for modelers so I need to do further research on them.
The EVM12L has a 200 watt rating and lets you hear more of the amp There are EVM12L Black Label that are 300 watts. I used the EV speakers back in the early 90's and just bought 2 of them too use with my wet speakers or my Mesa Mk III.

Back