Balancing Axe Ultra output level with Matrix

Nights_Blood

Hi guys,

I know that with the output level on the Ultra at max, it can deliver up to +18 dB. I usually have it around 1-2 o'clock. With some patches, I find I need a lot more volume. I'm trying to do this without clipping anything or putting too much juice into my cab.

My question is, how do you AFX/Matrix users balance your levels? Is the output on your Axe maxed, or not?

I tend to max out the Gt800 and then control the volume using the Axe FX outputs. Balancing presets in the Axe I tend to use a mastering level in Cubase and tweak each patch to the next loudest so they're all in the ballpark then fine tune at gig volumes if I need to. I seem to recall that the +18db figure is maxed out outputs including bypass mode which increases +6db (may be wrong there). You don't say what speakers you're using but if you start getting the output/signal lights on the Matrix to flicker then you're outputting around -9db which is around 30w at 8ohm.

Lightninboy":1gf9cy4i said:
I tend to max out the Gt800 and then control the volume using the Axe FX outputs. Balancing presets in the Axe I tend to use a mastering level in Cubase and tweak each patch to the next loudest so they're all in the ballpark then fine tune at gig volumes if I need to. I seem to recall that the +18db figure is maxed out outputs including bypass mode which increases +6db (may be wrong there). You don't say what speakers you're using but if you start getting the output/signal lights on the Matrix to flicker then you're outputting around -9db which is around 30w at 8ohm.

I'm using a VHT Deliverance cab with P50e's, which is rated at 200w, though realistically is around 250w.

Never thought about doing it in a DAW, smart idea. Also, did you mean 300w at 8ohm? I'm usually running at 4ohm mono (400w on the Matrix), with the volume less than half way. I'll pay extra attention at rehearsal today, but i don't think i've seen the signal light come on.

The only thing i'd be worried about using your method is accidentally cranking the Axe output, and proceeding to blow something. But maybe your speakers exceed the max output for the way you're running it.

If you're worried about accidentally cranking the Axe output, then you could always unplug the speakers from the Matrix (at the Matrix end). The Matrix will be fine without a load. Crank the Matrix and then play and steadily increase the outputs on the Axe. Watch for the Lights on the Matrix, they flicker at -9db which is 12.5% of power, which at 8ohms is 12.5% of 260w which is 32.5w!! Even with the lights on full thats -3db or 50% of 260 which is 130w. At 4ohms the ratings are -9db = 50w (flickers) -6db = 100w (solid ish) up to -3db which is 50% of power or 200w. You can use the global output and just knock the gain down 3db or 6db so you know that you'll even at full output you'll have some safety net there.

Hope thats not too confusing!!

i do things similar to Lightningboy.

I unplugged my speakers, set both Matrix and AFX to full, and played my loudest patch (incluing a solo volume boost). I then reduced the gain slider in the global out so the light on the matrix was just solid. Thats -6db from max power and as i drive a 2x12 8 Ohm cab, which is 62 Watts. Thats handy as my cab is rated at 60w.

from there I leave the AFX maxed out, and control volume from the Matrix. i do it this was to avoid the "motor boat" sounde from the AFXs vol pot - and Im safe in the knowledge that even maxed out my speakers are safe.

You could do the same thing - but once you have the levels set you can up the gain slider by another 3db. thats because your running a 4 Ohm load - so your max OP is 100W when set as per mine- and your spekers are rated at 200W. The extra 3db will then give those 200w to your cab when both AFC and Matrix are maxed.

Hope that made sense.

Back