Feedback from a line6 user:

Thought I would share this from a user called "Stratman" on the Fractal forum.

Hi everybody!
As a non AxeFx user, I still read the forum from time to time. While I was looking for a light weight power amp for my PodHD500, I found this thread about the GT800FX. Here is my story:
I while ago, I bought a AxeFX Standard, tested it very intense with all kinds of amps and speaker, and returned it after 6 weeks. It just couldn't do what I wanted. Looking for a second amp for playing stereo with my Marshall JVM I ran into a Crate power block. Very interesting little thing. I also needed I light weight small setup for travelling. The crate was just right. Because this little thing was so tiny but still very powerful, I thought it could be also good to drive a modeller. Since the AxeFx is just toooo expensive for me; I checked the new PODHD500 and for the money it was quite good.
But dialing in the right tones ended with the lack of high frequencies of the Crate and the untight bass. I had another SS amp laying arround unused (Samson Servo 260). Better, but still not good. So I ordered a Rocktron V300 and it was moving into the right direction. Disadvantage: Too heavy for my travelling idea.
Next idea was a Marshall 20/20 or a Brunetti Rockit. I didn't get to try it. Brunetti is hard to find and about the Marshall I wasn't really sure, because of tube maintenance and the 20 Watt which might be not enough headroom.

So I gave the GT800FX a try. I ordered on sunday and received the paypal invoice on monday - paid - and today (thursday) the amp arrived. Very good service. Friendly and very fast. I unpacked it and soon it was clear to me:
This amp is a pure sh....

... sharp weopon!!! I compared it A/B with my Marshall JVM. I used the exact same speaker for each. I had to tweak a bit, but I came real close. This amp brings all what I was missing from the others. For me the higher frequencies are very important because you need them for shaping the right tone. This sizzling and grain gets into the right form. The punch is there due to the big headroom of the amp. So - I know, having it just for a couple of hours is sure talking honey moon. Yes - but I know right away if something fits or not. 800 watts into one rackspace and 3,7 kg - at the moment unbeatable!!! Great product.

The A/B was just to have a starting point for my sounds. From now on, I will not compare anymore. Instead, I look at a modeller as a independent sound device. A tube amp is a tube amp and it will sound like. A modeller will not sound exactly the same, not even the AxeFX. But if you look at it without comparing, it is a very interesting sound generator for guitarists.

So - keep on rocking!

Back