It´s the matrix different of a "normal" power amp?

txisan

Hello, I am just waiting the paypal invoice to pay for the GT800FX, but I want to know if this power amp is specifically designed to use with digital modellers what are the differences with a normal power amp??
I will use mainly with AXE 2, with 2 boogie 2x12 EVM12L cabs but Can I use as a normal power amp, to amplify a motu card in the studio when I use the AXE directly to the mac?

Which ar the differences with a "normal" power amp?? It´s not linear? Compression?

Thanks in advance

We started with a 400 watt per channel class AB high quality power amp that went out for review with guitarists whose existing amp VHT etc.
The feedback was the amp was too fast and too accurate so we adapted the input circuitry to to feel more like a tube.
We then sent that amp out for evaluation.
And result was VHT got sold.

If you would like me to give you a phone call regarding normal amps and motu cards etc then send me a pm on here, or email your landline number to matt@matrixamplification.com and I will have happy to have a chat with you.

Best regards
Matt

MatrixAmplification":hij6crjn said:
The feedback was the amp was too fast and too accurate so we adapted the input circuitry to to feel more like a tube.

I don't quite understand this. Do you mean you tried to add "sag" to the amp to simulate a tube amp?

sutepaj":1sgu27hf said:
MatrixAmplification":1sgu27hf said:

I don't quite understand this. Do you mean you tried to add "sag" to the amp to simulate a tube amp?

Hi Sutepaj,
If you get a chance ( assuming your in America ) pop on over to the LA amp show. There is going to be several Matrix GT800FX amps there, so you would be able to listen with your own ears and see what you think.
The feedback we have from clients is that they are moving on from the likes of VHT, Carvin, Marshall etc. All that matters to us is happy clients.
If you send me your phone number ( landline or cell ) I will be more than happy to give you a call.

My best regards
Matt

Its not really adding Sag. The thing about the response was the XT was too quick. Playing fast notes with quick attack seemed too "hard" and attach, and the note seperation was clearer. That might be seen as a good thing but it made the amp sound too clinical for want of a better term.

They didnt add sag - which is to do with the transformer keeping up with supply requirement of the amp device (valves) , they just slowed down the response time of the amp device itself. It just resulted in a rounder, more musical note attack.

Back