Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sun, Jun 16, 2019 12:51pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 14, 2019 6:31am 
Supah Stah

Are you human?: 951
So, I started a new job in March 2018, and had my annual review for raise and bonus, (bonuses are as much as 10% of your salary). In this case, it equates to as much as $6,000. I got $669.

So, there are categories scoring 1-4. 3.1 to 4 is "exceeding expectations". I didn't score higher than 3, and was told they are unable to score anybody a 4, so, by design, you're already at a handicap. After the review, I was told I could have easily been a 3.5 in multiple areas.

So, here's what I've accomplished. Never late ONCE, in a year. Never missed a day. Single-handedly increased profit margins by double-digits. Took their Customer Service from being in the crapper to one of the best in the industry, and easily top spot in our region. Established new relationships, as well as growing current ones to generate roughly a half-million dollars, at 10-12% higher profit margins, mind you. I learned a computer system inside and out, with little training. I assumed both a sales role, AND Engineering role, without being asked. I've been told countless times how impressed they are, how far I've exceeded expectations, yet, on paper, they are unable to reflect it in my scores.

I think it's fucked up. We reached 108% to 114% of our goals in 2018, with NO Outside Salesmen in 2 territories, (both fired), yet exceeded our goals due to Inside Support, (me).

How fucked up is this? Oh, I got a 3% raise. I was told, "basically what everybody got - no more, no less". So, it's apparent that their review process is less than individualized. You get what you get, regardless, and Management gets the big bonuses.

Time to freshen up the resume. Not happy.

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 14, 2019 11:34am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

You were looking for a job when you found this one. Bird in hand is worth a lot, but if you find a better place, always make the right move for you.

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 14, 2019 11:37am 
Scumback Speakers

My wife has only gotten a 3% raise for years, and the bonuses have gone down as well. It is what it is, I'm afraid. If it makes you feel any better, I haven't given myself a raise in 8 years.

https://www.facebook.com/scumbackspeakers/
https://www.instagram.com/scumback_speakers/

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 14, 2019 4:43pm 
Supah Stah

Scumback Speakers wrote:
My wife has only gotten a 3% raise for years, and the bonuses have gone down as well. It is what it is, I'm afraid. If it makes you feel any better, I haven't given myself a raise in 8 years.

Yep, that's how employers treat people these days.

PostPosted: Sat, Mar 16, 2019 9:10am 
Journeyman NOOB

I just wrote a HUGE post discussing this as I know your frustration all too well, but it was so long I felt like I'd have to pay anyone to read that fucking wall of text...

I'm a property engineer. Our department consists of a Chief Engineer and 3 other property engineers. I'm the youngest (36) and the only one who can speak fluent English. I was hired to work outside our main campus (not a school, we do offices, CBS Sports Headquarters being one of them) at two properties which were pretty much automated via vendors. It was my duty to fix what I could and if it were outside my knowledge, call in a vendor. I went to school for A/C repair, which got me this job. I did not touch a single A/C in my first 10 months at this job as my properties both had service contracts. I started this job at $14.50 an hour, knowing I was taking a massive financial hit from leaving the restaurant business, but I had to start somewhere. The benefits are outstanding and they paid me $0.54.5 a mile to travel, which I did about 300 miles a week.

My former Chief quit, they had me take over until a new one came in. No more traveling, I live 1 mile from our campus. I got more shit done in one week than any Chief did previously and if I had more qualifications, I was told they would have just kept me as the Chief permanently, but that they specifically want me to start working in that direction. New boss comes in, has ZERO experience working with foreigners/immigrants/non-native English speakers and he's a massive, I mean massive Trump fan. He moved to West Palm, no fucking joke, because it's close to Mar-A-Largo. I get along with him, he's got a lot of technical training and supposedly was the Chief for two major companies (Amazon and Bayer) at their main headquarters. I've yet to see how that could have been possible.

90% of our work comes via e-mail from a HelpDesk, he refuses to acknowledge these and waits for me to reply to them. He refuses to even speak to our other crew guys and treats them like shit, I'm still delegating the work out. He refuses to allow them to do any kind of technical work outside changing a ballast in a light box and changing light bulbs. Our campus has 198 A/C's which have never been properly maintained since they've been installed, some 30 years ago. These A/C's break down EVERY FUCKING DAY, freezing, flooding, shooting out hot air, etc...

The previous Chief's all called A/C techs out, we were spending $500-4,000 a week on A/C repair for YEARS. In the last 3 months since I've been there, we've called them out 4x because we don't have Freon to charge a system. We can buy it, but my boss keeps saying "I want to hold off on that." with no explanation why. I'm starting to think he bullshitted about some licensing. I'm doing all these repairs myself, plus 75% of his job. I was told I was going to be compensated "very, very, VERY fairly" for what I've done to the place since I came in.

I got a 10% raise, to $17.05. That wouldn't be so bad, but they just started making us carry $100,000 Bodily Harm insurance on our vehicles, jumping my insurance up an additional $200 a month. (Thanks, Florida's no-fault insurance!) So effectively, I'm making $15.73 after my raise because of this insurance bullshit. It was not part of the deal when I was hired.

I flipped the fuck out earlier this week when my bank account went in the negative because the insurance company fucked up and took the money out prematurely. They're giving it back, but of course, it's going to take a few days while my bank account incurs overdraft fees. Had a panic attack in my office and just left. I only found out about the raise because I wrote my Chief and our boss (property manager who hired me) and explained why I left and what I was going through because of this insurance bullshit. I was supposed to have my review at the end of February, my property manager calls me and says, like she had been crying, "You're getting a 10% raise. I just have to wait until Jim (owner) comes back from vacation to approve it."

You fucking kidding me? This should have been approved BEFORE my fucking anniversary date and ready for my review. These other guys on my crew are all making $20-22 an hour because they've been there for years doing fuckin' NOTHING. So now they're quite sure I'm going to quit and they're scared shitless because they can't even find a replacement for me at my old property. My new Chief refuses to let me go back because he can't deal with the other guys in the crew. Add to that, I'm no longer making that $054.5 a mile, that was an additional $300 every pay period I was getting for that which was a big help. The new Chief has told me and our property engineer he will quit if I leave. He's been there 6 weeks and is already making threats and the company can't do shit because they realize they're not paying both, the Chief or the property engineers enough to get anyone interested in working for us.

After the talk on the phone with my property manager, I called one of our A/C vendors and told him I want in. It's a union job and 5-year schooling is part of it, entirely paid for and I'll be getting paid for going to school. I can't start until September. It's a bummer, I actually like the company and the people (outside my new Chief, he's a fucking asshole) but if they can't pay me what I deserve, I'm fuckin' out.