Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sat, Dec 14, 2019 12:09pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed, Oct 23, 2019 4:08pm 
Rock God

Are you human?: 951
Want one for fun to have in the basement for games/movies for the kid and I.

Not looking to go crazy with top of the line, definitely low budget but something tells me the $50 projectors on ebay are junk.

So yeah looking for low priced but decent projector on the used that I could find on ebay or craigs. Any suggestions?

"It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission"

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 24, 2019 5:22pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

The budget epsons at best buy are a really good buy. they do true 1080p and have really long bulb lives. I have the cinema 1060 i think it is. not $50 but will do movies great and games. Spend a little bit on the screen too, or if you are really thrifty you can make one out of curtain blackout material and a frame you build... lots of resources on the net to do that. I have a retractable screen, cost a couple hundred.

PostPosted: Thu, Nov 14, 2019 4:50am 
Hack

dpeterson wrote:
The budget epsons at best buy are a really good buy. they do true 1080p and have really long bulb lives. I have the cinema 1060 i think it is. not $50 but will do movies great and games. Spend a little bit on the screen too, or if you are really thrifty you can make one out of curtain blackout material and a frame you build... lots of resources on the net to do that. I have a retractable screen, cost a couple hundred.

Totally worth it.

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 04, 2019 2:30pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Personal taste/preference is huge here. 1080p is nice, but 4k is becoming more affordable now that 8k is coming out. If you can swing a 4k Sony/Epson/JVC, I'd recommend it -- there will be a difference in detail when the screen is 100" or more.

The viewing distance to the screen will be a factor as will the actual projector screen gain. 1.0 is like a default and should be fine unless you are wanting to watch a lot of 3D movies. In that case you may want to do more research to see what gain for that is best.

Also, GET the extended warranty if a retailer offers one. Like Best Buy's warranty, for instance. Some projectors have software issues. I have a good quality Epson Pro Cinema 6010 that I've had to use the warranty on twice in the span of 3 years -- got replacements both times. In total, I've had the projector for 6 years.

It's fun and a game-changer! Really cool for gaming too, especially if you opt for surround sound/7.1, etc!