Once again.... WHATS COOKING?!

Enchilada brats. Corn tortillas lightly fried in grapseed oil. Smoked, cheddar-infused brats, onion, sport peppers, Havarti cheese, NFA's Prairie Buffalo sauce, and finished off the cooked product with a few splashes of tabasco.

DBN sportin' the last known bottle of Prairie Buffalo in existence.

Enchiladas look damn tasty.

Cheddar brats. Mmmm.

There's a local place that sells at the farmers market that does skinless cheddar brats. Those things are fuckin' bomber. Ugh.

311splawndude":a8lwq97t said:
I bet those are real tasty! :yes:

They were, but next time I'm going to sub sliced jalapenos for the sport peppers. I was just cleaning out the fridge and wanted those sport peppers gone.

:)

nightflameauto":a8lwq97t said:
DBN sportin' the last known bottle of Prairie Buffalo in existence.

Enchiladas look damn tasty.

Cheddar brats. Mmmm.

There's a local place that sells at the farmers market that does skinless cheddar brats. Those things are fuckin' bomber. Ugh.

That Prairie Buffalo is some good stuff. Sometimes when I walk by the fridge I can't resist grabbing the bottle and taking a pull. Same with the Crybaby Craigs hot sauce. And those brats are so good I will often slice one up and microwave it, then put a bit of hot sauce and whatever pickled peppers I've got on hand on the side. Quick n' easy eats right there, folks!

It's not cooking (yet), but I've been stocking up the freezer. I don't see the pandemic situation getting more than marginally better before the end of the year - maybe not until next spring. Hell, who knows?? That means groceries will continue to have hit & miss availability and higher prices. As I see items that freeze well for decent prices, I buy a little more than I ordinarily would. Ground beef, chicken, sausage, etc. I generally don't like to freeze steak, but I bought a couple of bone-in rib roasts and whole beef tenderloins and carved them into steaks. It's the cheapest way to get those cuts and I triple-bagged them to prevent freezer burn. I'll use the stuff regardless, so it feels like a good move. Short of a full on Zombie Holocaust and multi-day power outage, it won't go to waste...

Super impressed, you guys are pros & well done to you, seriously :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm too lazy to clean up the mess so a grown man's dinner (aka: Cornflakes) is the best I can do & I ain't kiddin'. :( :( :(

Speaking of corn flakes, any of you giys tried Air Frying? It appears that you use 'already crispy' things like cornflakes or crackers to bread then bake with convection. Sounds simple but does it taste great?

SpiderWars":34qrse4t said:
Speaking of corn flakes, any of you giys tried Air Frying? It appears that you use 'already crispy' things like cornflakes or crackers to bread then bake with convection. Sounds simple but does it taste great?
Air "frying" pfffft :LOL: :LOL: To fry something takes disfiguringly hot oil (French fries, fish, corn dogs, breaded critters on a stick, etc.). not air. At best, you're giving your food a rash :D

You're preachin to the choir my friend! I don't even like baked chicken wings. Deep fried...hard (i.e. crispy)...with nothin but Franks and a splash of Tabasco. THAT is a buffalo wing...to me.

IndyWS6":2hmvtr7a said:
SpiderWars":2hmvtr7a said:
Air "frying" pfffft :LOL: :LOL: To fry something takes disfiguringly hot oil (French fries, fish, corn dogs, breaded critters on a stick, etc.). not air. At best, you're giving your food a rash :D
You know what makes air frying acceptable?

When you bread whatever it is your "frying," then soak/spray/coat it in oil before tossing it into the "air" fryer. I've made some damn fine shramps and chicken that way. I'm sure some purist snobby bitch will tell me I'm driving the wrong way there, but it's just as tasty as deep fried, AND the cleanup is EXTENSIVELY easier.

IndyWS6":2k3b2pqq said:
It's not cooking (yet), but I've been stocking up the freezer. I don't see the pandemic situation getting more than marginally better before the end of the year - maybe not until next spring. Hell, who knows?? That means groceries will continue to have hit & miss availability and higher prices. As I see items that freeze well for decent prices, I buy a little more than I ordinarily would. Ground beef, chicken, sausage, etc. I generally don't like to freeze steak, but I bought a couple of bone-in rib roasts and whole beef tenderloins and carved them into steaks. It's the cheapest way to get those cuts and I triple-bagged them to prevent freezer burn. I'll use the stuff regardless, so it feels like a good move. Short of a full on Zombie Holocaust and multi-day power outage, it won't go to waste...

yup-I bought a quarter beef and have another half on order towards the end of the year. probably have a hog butchered also. lose power I have been trained how to salt, sugar, and smoke cure meat. always have a good supply of deer meat also.

nightflameauto":37rjpxpc said:
IndyWS6":37rjpxpc said:
SpiderWars":37rjpxpc said:
You know what makes air frying acceptable?

When you bread whatever it is your "frying," then soak/spray/coat it in oil before tossing it into the "air" fryer. I've made some damn fine shramps and chicken that way. I'm sure some purist snobby bitch will tell me I'm driving the wrong way there, but it's just as tasty as deep fried, AND the cleanup is EXTENSIVELY easier.

And less cleanup time means more time to play with your boyfriend's man bun while sipping on a pumpkin spice soy latte.

We got a toaster over that has air fryer and convection cooking all in one. We haven't sprayed any food with oil. Works great.

It other news, here is some steak shish, bacon wrapped asparagus and a twice baked potato

JgaV7Usl.jpg

311splawndude":3e36pbuo said:
We got a toaster over that has air fryer and convection cooking all in one. We haven't sprayed any food with oil. Works great.

It other news, here is some steak shish, bacon wrapped asparagus and a twice baked potato

JgaV7Usl.jpg

You are the kabob king! I bet it tastes as good as it looks.

:inlove:

Made some Dick Butter Burgers this weekend. I usually don't add onion soup mix, but I put in a small amount just for shits as I was making dip. Topped with muenster cheese and a few sport peppers on the side.

Speaking of dip, I strapped on my favorite soy-dipped essential oil fortified man bun and went to work. Vegan cream cheese, vegan sour cream, almond milk and onion soup mix.

:yes:

For the last few years we've had a spring Crawfish Boil, but the pandemic put the brakes on "Crawfish Fest 2020" (I'm sure I bitched about it at some point...). To make up for it, I just ordered two bushels of Select Male Blue Crabs for delivery on Friday (boil on Saturday). In the interest of safety (my GF's mom is 91...) it will be a smaller group than normal, but it will still be fun. Crabs, sausage, potatoes, corn, mushrooms, crawfish garlic toast, adult beverages, etc.

The downside? They aren't shipping live crabs this time of year because there is too much die-off due to heat, so they will be delivered pre-steamed and refrigerated. I was hoping to get drunk, paint numbers on their shells and race them like we do the Crawfish :LOL: :LOL:

Too bad they won't be fresher, Indy.

Knowing you 'though, you'll certainly get the best-possible results out of 'em.

I really wish I'd have learned the details of making pizza dough when I was a teenager working at Dino's pizza. They had great crust.

I'm going to make it from scratch, any tips? At Dino's they mixed the 3 ingredients: flour, water, yeast and IIRC let it sit for a short time and then we all had to 'roll the dough'. Portions were cut for Sm/Med/Lg pizzas and each portion was rolled until it was a firm ball. Placed on oiled sheet pans, covered with stretch wrap and placed on racks in the cooler. Also, the water had to be a certain temp (cool not too cold) and they had a chart on the wall for water temp based on room temp. The grocery store had yeast specifically for pizza dough and even says 'not for bread baking'.

Seems so simple but too many places have mediocre crust. The devil is in the details.

I think the key if you want fluffy is to let it rest for a good while. I suspect the traditional "spinning" technique is to spread the dough out without ruining the fluffiness with a rolling pin. Then, after spreading it in the pan, poke it with a fork to ensure you don't end up with huge air gaps.

This are my "must try one day" tips from memory; I watch a lot of cooking shows but haven't ever made a pizza, much to my dismay!

I remember it not being particularly airey or fluffy when we 'rolled the dough'. Each individual portion was sort of continually folded back in upon itself, forming a ball. And that part of the process would remove any fluffiness that was currently in it. I think that was the reason for cool water, so it didn't rise too much before portioning/rolling. We also had a long fork like for BBQ that was used to pop the bubbles as the pizza cooked or you would have big barren areas on the pizza. And the dough would easily spread out when thrown. The premade pizza dough that the bakery sells springs right back when you try to stretch it.

Back