watcha drinkin' ?

Horseradish sauce is good with like sliced beef and corned beef etc. It is only made in western Illinois believe it or not. Gotta get the real deal in the jar - not that creamy stuff that is packaged like mustard.

MrDowntown":1ljarfbu said:
nightflameauto":1ljarfbu said:
Now this is my kinda thread.

Bourbon mostly. Old Grandad 114, Wild Turkey 101, lots of bottled in bond (100 proof). But when I feel like splurging, it's Islay scotch all the way. Cask strength when possible. My personal favorite:

Though any of the Ardbegs, Bowmores, Lagavulins, or Laphroaigs are terrific. For cheaper, Laphroaig Quarter Cask, or Triple Wood get the job done.

yes sir...love a good scotch.

oddly i don't buy a lot of it...just the ole'southern boy in me i suppose; i gravitate to bourbon(s)

what you posted, is it (super) smokey? seems a bud of mine a bottle of that, IIRC and it was almost too smokey, and i love smoke.
Yeah, Laphroaig is a punch to the mouth of smoke and peat. Very strong. It's really powerful up front, but if you let it sit on your tongue it slowly turns sweeter and more caramel forward. Though it's always got smoke/peat and a slight brine flavor. I god damn love the stuff. Especially good in a cocktail like a Blood & Sand.

311splawndude":1ljarfbu said:
MrDowntown":1ljarfbu said:
Zing Zang Bloody mix is top shelf stuff IMO :thumbsup:

Copious amounts of fresh lime, and green jalapeno for me... and we're in business!
I love tons of veggie shit in my bloody. Lime, japs, pickles, olives, celery, tomato, and pre cooked bacon :thumbsup:

The best bloodies I've ever had though are in New Orleans where they have little bits of crawfish and horseradish and shit.
Never thought to throw meats into a bloody mary, though have had them as garnish.

Just for you guys, my special from scratch bloody mary recipe:
I use a mason jar so I can do a big batch all at once.
Juice some citrus. I usually go lemon, though will sometimes have lime and orange involved.
When you can't get fresh, one 8 oz can tomato juice.
The rest of this is guestimates since I usually just dump stuff in and eyeball it.
1/2 teaspoon horseradish, extra hot.
Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, make it a good quality one too. None that over-salted garbage.
Teaspoon smoked paprika
Teaspoon celery salt
Pinch of kosher salt
I wouldn't even begin to guess how much hot sauce I pour in. Think of a typical tobasco bottle and shake it over the jar about twelve or thirteen times.
Either a little pickle brine or straight white vinegar, probably not much more than a tablespoon
(Or substitute the above for any spiced brine you have. I make a pickled carrot/jalapeno recipe that I love the brine for this purpose)
Alcohol of choice about equal to the can of tomato juice. I usually go vodka, but have been known to substitute bourbon, or if I'm feeling like really flavor-punching it, scotch.

Toss in some ice, tighten the lid and shake it up. Rub a lemon or lime around the glass and put it on a plate filled with kosher salt rim down, then rub it around real good to get a heavy dose of salt on it. Sometimes I'll toss in some extra spices, like my home made seasoning made from ground habanero, serrano, jalapeno, mustard powder, garlic, and a few other seasonings. That gives you a nice burn as you sip.

Pour, then garnish with pickles, citrus slices, olives, and whatever else you want. I also like tossing my spicy pickled carrots and jalapenos on for some extra kickin' garnishes. Bacon if we have it. I even used a slice of olive pizza as a garnish once.

If you drink that whole thing yourself you'll feel invincible, right before you lay down and take a six hour nap. :thumbsup:

Dude, would you use a similar concoction (the non-alcoholic component), maybe just toned down a little, to mix with beer for a Red Eye / Bloody beer?

If you have a recipe, please do share. I've never tried one but have been thinking about it for a while for a bit o' variety, and if I'm gonna try it, I don't want to just slap some tomato juice into a beer (or vice-versa) and make a judgement on that alone.

Thanks man. :cheers:

Red beers are good. Same thing. Any basic bloody mary and a lager or blonde ale is good stuff. What do you mean Monkey about non-alcoholic? You can make a virgin bloody mary you know.

Yeah - get yourself a loaded bloody with real horseradish and veggies :inlove:

Love my irish whiskeys for that smokey flavor. Not a fan of the more peat taste of some of the others though.

As a matter of fact I found this bar (read - old school speak easy basement type place) that serves this smoky irish whiskey under a smoky glass. It like a frickin' campfire drink. My wife bought me the kit so I can do it myself at home. I'll have to get a pic up of that some day.

really done with the Fireball crap because of the ... well...you know. So now I'm onto the Jack Daniels Fire. Probably the same thing lol.

:cheers2:

That bloody recipe sounds damn good... I may try that.

Got a fresh bottle of 1792... will be busting a move on it this weekend.

311splawndude":3lu5o62x said:
What do you mean Monkey about non-alcoholic?
Monkey Man":3lu5o62x said:
Dude, would you use a similar concoction (the non-alcoholic component), maybe just toned down a little, to mix with beer for a Red Eye / Bloody beer?
I had a go today. Tomato juice, Tabasco Sauce, salt & Beck's Premium Imported.

Tried a splash of Worcestershire sauce too. Seemed to work best using 2/3 juice and 1/3 beer, without the Worcestershire. S'pose I could get used to it but I wasn't blown-away as I'd expected to be. I'll keep experimentin' of course. :D

Thanks for the info, man. :cheers:

Woscestershire sauce really only works if you have the citrus (bitter) and the horseradish to play off of it. On its own with tomato juice and hot sauce it just stands out way too much.

I've been known to make this mix sans alcohol for a morning boost before I head to work. Or at least, I used to back when we still went to work.

And it is good mixed with Beer too.

311splawn, I've got one of those little smokers too. I have used it for drinks on occasion, but it usually gets used for smoke infusing peppers for hot sauces. Like so:
smokehousehab1.jpeg

Though I have found I enjoy smoking some ice cubes with it to use in good bourbon here or there.

nightflameauto":2pkgdtu7 said:
Woscestershire sauce really only works if you have the citrus (bitter) and the horseradish to play off of it. On its own with tomato juice and hot sauce it just stands out way too much.
That's exactly what I noticed right off the bat, mate.

I was amazed how little it took to take over the whole thing. Not like with food, where I need to splash generously in order to be able to enjoy what it brings to the table.

^ Yep. That's a good beer right there.

nightflameauto":3vwy9pbo said:

I've been known to make this mix sans alcohol for a morning boost before I head to work. Or at least, I used to back when we still went to work.

And it is good mixed with Beer too.

311splawn, I've got one of those little smokers too. I have used it for drinks on occasion, but it usually gets used for smoke infusing peppers for hot sauces. Like so:
smokehousehab1.jpeg

Though I have found I enjoy smoking some ice cubes with it to use in good bourbon here or there.
I'll have to try that. Thanks for bringing it up.

I took a pic of mine thinking no one would know what I'm talking about. :D

vBB3cPSl.jpg

311splawndude":3r20xjgm said:
I'll have to try that. Thanks for bringing it up.

I took a pic of mine thinking no one would know what I'm talking about. :D

vBB3cPSl.jpg
Those infusion smokers are damn handy little devices. I got mine specifically for hot sauce making, as cold smoked peppers have a very different flavor from the usual smoker. But then I've found myself using it on meats, fish, cheeses, drinks, you name it.

Smoked cheddar along with a good scotch with a smoked glass? Yup. :thumbsup:

First time out of country since COVID and was a bit worried but this and a Mallorca made me feel better.

20200901-093400.jpg

Horrible flight, plane left gate/sat for a while/returned to gate/left gate again/sat for a while/returned to gate/left gate a 3rd time/sat again/finally left after this 1.5 hour dance in Florida sun. Apparently several women decided they didn't want to leave. WTF! I hope their luggage got lost (mine did!).

Also, flight was FULL. No empty seats...and lots of babies that apparently didn't want to leave either.

SpiderWars":295rskma said:
First time out of country since COVID and was a bit worried but this and a Mallorca made me feel better.

20200901-093400.jpg

Horrible flight, plane left gate/sat for a while/returned to gate/left gate again/sat for a while/returned to gate/left gate a 3rd time/sat again/finally left after this 1.5 hour dance in Florida sun. Apparently several women decided they didn't want to leave. WTF! I hope their luggage got lost (mine did!).

Also, flight was FULL. No empty seats...and lots of babies that apparently didn't want to leave either.

You're in Mallorca? A very nice place to be & I wish I was there atm too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'd kill for a decent Rome expresso right now. Nobody does coffee like the Romans do, I mean nobody. :rock:
Your drink looks like a hot chocolate or a Mocha?????

Enjoy your trip & think of us poor dicks who aren't there. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

San Juan PR. Here it is a sandwich made with bread of same name (kind of like a Muffuletta is a sandwich named after the bread used). Ham, fried egg, AmChz and a light dusting of powdered sugar.

And if you like olives, a Muffuletta is a wonderful thing. One of my fave sandwiches...although nothing beats a Cheesesteak on REAL Amorosa roll (honorable mention to Banh Mi on a real Amorosa roll).

SpiderWars":3ilzxm9k said:
San Juan PR. Here it is a sandwich made with bread of same name (kind of like a Muffuletta is a sandwich named after the bread used). Ham, fried egg, AmChz and a light dusting of powdered sugar.

And if you like olives, a Muffuletta is a wonderful thing. One of my fave sandwiches...although nothing beats a Cheesesteak on REAL Amorosa roll (honorable mention to Banh Mi on a real Amorosa roll).

Haven't been to PR myself but again, enjoy your trip. :thumbsup:

Photo didn't show in your post?

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Back