bbq bros.....

JackBootedThug

MURDERATOR
trying an experiment today. Going to smoke 2 pork butts.No big deal except I'm going to smoke them with american chestnut. It's pretty much extinct so nobody uses it. I have a couple that my grandpa planted when I was a baby. Of course when he was a kid, 60% of the woods around here were american chestnut. So we shall see.....The blight has killed the one, the other is almost dead. sad really.

just made 3 sauces. memphis, mustard(south cakalaky?) and east cakalaky vinegar. got the chestnut soaking right now. I dry rubbed the butts and have them in the oven, then I'll finish in the smoke.

Did cedar plank salmon last night ...came out killer

Soaked the cedar planks in white wine

Himalayan salt and fresh cracked pepper both sides of fish.

Lemon zest and lemon juice

Smoked paprika

Fresh rosemary

Olive oil

Cooked to about 140 ish internal temp low and slow

Killer !

Here's a pic!
https://ibb.co/XbSCj5w

Hopefully it's American Chestnut, not Horse (Euro)..they are quite different trees. You can only use the Horse Chestnut for bonfires, it has toxins you don't want in your meat. American Chestnut is one of the best woods to use for smoking pork. Very light and nutty, hard to over smoke with it if you keep it at the right temp. I would maybe back it with something else like white/red oak if you had it. Hard to come by wood though. Like you said, blight killed so many of the American Chestnut trees here. I use mainly White Oak since I am in Missouri and it's everywhere.

Do you ever brine your pork butts? I started doing it awhile ago and for extended smokes, it really works.

sutepaj":3kqga5z0 said:
Hopefully it's American Chestnut, not Horse (Euro)..they are quite different trees. You can only use the Horse Chestnut for bonfires, it has toxins you don't want in your meat. American Chestnut is one of the best woods to use for smoking pork. Very light and nutty, hard to over smoke with it if you keep it at the right temp. I would maybe back it with something else like white/red oak if you had it. Hard to come by wood though. Like you said, blight killed so many of the American Chestnut trees here. I use mainly White Oak since I am in Missouri and it's everywhere.

Do you ever brine your pork butts? I started doing it awhile ago and for extended smokes, it really works.

yup it's MURICAN!!!!! chestnut. I injected them. I'm not the most experienced at smoking so I did them in the oven at first. I'm rolling now. Temp is a little high at 325-350 but it will go down.

JackBootedThug":qnze2feb said:
sutepaj":qnze2feb said:

yup it's MURICAN!!!!! chestnut. I injected them. I'm not the most experienced at smoking so I did them in the oven at first. I'm rolling now. Temp is a little high at 325-350 but it will go down.

Sweet mang! My brother was a competitive BBQer for awhile, and ran his own BBQ catering company. I have picked up a few tricks along the way and I'll tell you there is nothing wrong with smoking at 325 (for butts). As long as you get through those stalls and hit around 205, everything ends up the same way. Everyone is all about the low and slow (and so am I for brisket, and beef especially that is lower fat content) but you will see a lot of the big guys on the scene going 325 and even higher. I tend not to wrap because the bark is my favorite part..I like to cut up the bark and mix it in with the pork.

Attachments

• rtbbq.jpeg
    rtbbq.jpeg
    437.2 KB · Views: 2,879
dawnofdreamx97":160xip3d said:
Did cedar plank salmon last night ...came out killer

Soaked the cedar planks in white wine

Himalayan salt and fresh cracked pepper both sides of fish.

Lemon zest and lemon juice

Smoked paprika

Fresh rosemary

Olive oil

Cooked to about 140 ish internal temp low and slow

Killer !

Here's a pic!
https://ibb.co/XbSCj5w

i need to try that sometime......

ok this is crazy. the smoke is super mild. very hard to explain. almost delicate if possible. like dumble's crystal gain lattices. Had great crispy and dark bark. had the smoke ring in the meat but just super mild. never experienced smoking like this. epic win methinks....

JackBootedThug":3arnrzu3 said:
ok this is crazy. the smoke is super mild. very hard to explain. almost delicate if possible. like dumble's crystal gain lattices. Had great crispy and dark bark. had the smoke ring in the meat but just super mild. never experienced smoking like this. epic win methinks....

Yeah man, it's a magical wood in the smoking world. And yes, Dumble is known to use only this wood. Would it be too weird if we shipped/traded smoking woods instead of amps? :LOL: :LOL:

Attachments

• dumble.jpg
    dumble.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 2,864
I agree pork butts are very forgiving as far as temp/time goes. And I think bark should be mixed in, if it's not it's because the cook ate it all. :LOL: :LOL:

Smoked chicken is awesome but I never get chicken at a BBQ restaurant. I get brisket if I trust/know them and pork if I don't, sometimes pork ribs but never that awesome chicken. Weird how something that good gets barely a second thought from me.

just for the hell of it I did a pack of chicken breasts. i chowed down on the pork cause fuck chicken. i'll try it after while when I can move again.

SpiderWars":2coa7xfq said:
I agree pork butts are very forgiving as far as temp/time goes. And I think bark should be mixed in, if it's not it's because the cook ate it all. :LOL: :LOL:

Smoked chicken is awesome but I never get chicken at a BBQ restaurant. I get brisket if I trust/know them and pork if I don't, sometimes pork ribs but never that awesome chicken. Weird how something that good gets barely a second thought from me.

My undercover BBQ love is Smoked Turkey, but it's SO rare that anyone does it right. But when they do..thick cut..it's so amazing. Turkey can take a deep smoke too. I like to take apart the entire turkey, cut the back out and smoke the legs/thighs and breasts separate. Do a 1 day simple brine, smoke them at like 325 till like 160. If you cut the legs off, pull the tendons from the bottom of the legs out. They will turn out way better.

Monkey Man":33r2w2kj said:
Yeah, the pork and fish sound epic and got my mouth watering straight-away.

Well done, Steve and DOD. :rock:

I know first hand you m8’s have some good BBQ down there

True, but IMHO you guys take it way more seriously, generally-speaking, which is a good thing. There's probably a two-way trickle of tips being exchanged, but again, my guess is that the vast majority of innovation comes from you guys. You're the kings AFAIC. :rock:

We have competitions down here but you never hear about them; it's just not explored as deeply as up where you are.

Later to the party here. I'm a simpleton with my little Hibachi fluid fumes maker. But, I watch TFN here and there and this fella seems to know a thing or two(2). Not insinuating any lack of knowledgeablilities to the owner of the OP. I'm speaking of BBQ guy dude Myron Mixon that I'm shirely you are aware of. :)

Back