My engl metalmaster 40w HELP NEEDED

james178

Basically i bought this amp only about a week ago but i wasn't and am still not happy with the tone. Its really trebly and the notes are extremely piercing. The only way ive been able to get a rounder/smoother tone from it is by putting a compressor in the FX loop and turning the tone knob on the pedal down to nearly zero (the compressor is the cs-3 boss compressor sustainer). Is this a known problem? I've seen the demos and stuff online of the amp and it sounds awesome but when i play i can't get any kind of decent tone through it. Im using a blackstar 2x12 cabinet with no pedals in front to start with just to try and use the distortion of the amp. The guitar is the Jackson SLATTXMG with 85/81 pups. Any advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated thanks.

I don't like the EMG 81 with my ENGL's for this very reason - the tone is thin and too bright. I can't speak for Metalmaster series cause I didn't play one but this was my experience with E520, E530 and E570 preamps, ENGL Invader 100 and Savage SE. I always ended up switching the actives for the passives. ENGL in general is more on the bright side and usually it has a lot of presence. It works great with darker bodywood (mahogany) or darker/smoother pickups. My ESP M-II was really bright with EMG 81. I changed it for BKP Warpig and it worked wonders for me. The tone stayed tight but gained body and tamed the top end - perfect balance.

Back