I've allowed a SAVAGE into my home... Heaven help us!!

Fret-Shredder

Hi... new member here. I recently purchased my first Engl amp and I couldnt be happier. It already had the Jens Kruse "CANNIBAL" mod and a new set of KT88 Preferred series power tubes from the TUBE STORE when I purchased it. Its in excellent condition and sounds amazing. I do plan on purchasing the matching ENGL 2X12 cabinet when I can afford it to replace the Egnater 2X12 Im currently using. Glad to be here among other Engl owners. Here are some pics. Cheers guys. Michael

bVoyPBz.jpg

kRU3vM6.jpg

jLoE092.jpg

YZnXyeI.jpg

That head needs a strong 4x12 cab.
For the longest time, I wanted that exact amp. Then I realized... it would be useless to me.
I could take it outside in the backyard, crank it up, and then wait and see how long it
took for the cops to show up.
If I was playing outdoor metal shows... it would be the cat's ass.

I play only in my living room these days and it sounds killer even at low volumes. One thing I plan on doing is getting Jens Kruse to add the Variac mod so I can play with less wattage. Then I'll be set.

oldmtlhed":2odmwfq0 said:
That head needs a strong 4x12 cab.
For the longest time, I wanted that exact amp. Then I realized... it would be useless to me.
I could take it outside in the backyard, crank it up, and then wait and see how long it
took for the cops to show up.
If I was playing outdoor metal shows... it would be the cat's ass.

Fret-Shredder":1nid9mbt said:
I play only in my living room these days and it sounds killer even at low volumes. One thing I plan on doing is getting Jens Kruse to add the Variac mod so I can play with less wattage. Then I'll be set.

I know it sounds killer, I just didn't know it could even do "low volumes".
:confused:
If you only play in the house, and you want to get a variac to run less power... WHY buy it?
I mean, isn't it total overkill for what you want to do with it?

oldmtlhed":1m0cc2tf said:
Fret-Shredder":1m0cc2tf said:

If you only play in the house, and you want to get a variac to run less power... WHY buy it?

The Savage 120 sounds ridiculously good at low volumes. Better than any other amp I've ever played/owned. IMHO its in no way overkill for home/bedroom level playing. Of course it sounds even better cranked up as do all tube amps, but its the best of the best for low volume playing.

I agree. The main reason I want the VARIAC MOD is to conserve tube life. Playing at 120 watts puts more wear and tear on tubes than playing at say 25 watts. I love this amp and feel very fortunate to have scored this one.

MetalHeadMike":cec8i0il said:
oldmtlhed":cec8i0il said:
Fret-Shredder":cec8i0il said:

The Savage 120 sounds ridiculously good at low volumes. Better than any other amp I've ever played/owned. IMHO its in no way overkill for home/bedroom level playing. Of course it sounds even better cranked up as do all tube amps, but its the best of the best for low volume playing.

According to the clips I've heard, it seemed that the Cannibal mode added only some presence and that was it. What does it really do?

I have an ENGL Savage SE and it sounds great at low volumes. Volume pots have smooth curve without jumps. I have small kids and I can play even when they sleep in the next room. I wouldn't bother with Variac mode.

The Cannibal mod almost seems to be like a BBE. The more you turn the knob the more it blends in the mod. You can read all about it on his website. Being the amp sounds so good anyway I just use it with very little effect. Only about a quarter turn on. As I stated earlier I didnt buy the mod it was there already when I purchased it so bonus for me. The reason I want the VARIAC is why run the amp at the full 120 watts when playing in the living room? Running at a lower wattage like say 25 watts will preserve tube life and the amp will still sound killer at low volume. Its just some added versatility.

sinnersmoon":1i2mzad3 said:
According to the clips I've heard, it seemed that the Cannibal mode added only some presence and that was it. What does it really do?

I have an ENGL Savage SE and it sounds great at low volumes. Volume pots have smooth curve without jumps. I have small kids and I can play even when they sleep in the next room. I wouldn't bother with Variac mode.

Back