Tonal differences?

MrFlexx

I'd like to know the tonal differences between the Fireball 100, Powerball 2, Invader 2 and the Retro Tube 100?

Its hard to make a fair judgment about the amps from the demos on the Internet. This because all the drop c-tuning and chugging on the low strings.

What I want from the Engl I'll be getting is great attack and string definition without the harsh treble and presence. I want the amp to manage styles like Extreme, Mr Big, Accept, Vinnie Moore, Winger and the likes.

What ENGL amp/amps would you suggest and why?

For what you’re describing, I think the best suited Engl’s for that would be either the Inferno (Marty Friedman version) or the Artist Edition. The Inferno is like a much better version of the Fireball imo and the Artist Edition is more open than other Engls and has a great upper mid growl to it that’s somewhat Marshally

The SE EL34 is my favorite Engl, but it might be too modern or compressed for what you’re going for

The Savage II may also be worth looking into when it comes out

Honestly, the Engls you mentioned are my least favorite ones. I find the powrrball ii to be brittle, scooped, and too compressed and inorganic. The Invader ii and retro I found to be to polite/restrained sounding. The fireball is cool, but I think the Inferno does everything that amp does better

I think I'll try the Fireball 100 first as I'm a bit "allergic" to signature gear. Thanks for your input.

Back