Rockerverb MKIII internal trim pot travel

I am re-tubing my Rockerverb, first time on an Orange, and from what I can tell on the MKIII there are 4 trim pots for biasing each tube individually. They are R12, R1, R2, and R15. In that order.

My RV came with EL34B tubes and I just happen to have some lying around as they are backups for my Diezel. When installed them and started cranking the pot counter clockwise the pot ended and the tubes were still over the limit. I did notice the pots very, very gradually dropped the MA. I am using a bias probe BTW. I think it ended about 3 turns from where I started. The pots did make the MA drop so I should think they are fully functional.

So I guess my question is are the EL35B tubes just drawing too much current? I was considering going to KT77 tubes which seem to run a little colder than the EL34B tubes.

I was going to order some backup KT77 tubes anyway but I just wanted to get a second opinion on what I had noticed.

Donnie

What are you setting them at? I converted my MKII from 6L6 to EL34 last week and didn't touch the bias. It's right at 30 mA with the EL34's which I think is a bit cold but it sounds good there.

Back