Sudden onset of noise in my rig

Axe34

If I didn't shave my head, I'd have ripped all of my hair out by now.

Two days ago I started experiencing noise -- a buzzing -- in my rig. Nothing had changed with my setup. I was running an LP and a Strat into a pedalboard powered by a Truetone CS12 into either a Friedman Smallbox or a Fender Super-Sonic Twin.

My setup in my music room hasn't changed in 11 years. I have a couple of monitors, a computer screen, a computer, a router and a pair of PA speakers. Again, I've had these components in the same room for more than a decade with no noise. The house is 15 years old.

So here's what I've done over the last two days:

1. Used five different guitars, including single coils and humbuckers.
2. Used different cables.
3. Gone directly into the amps.
4. Unplugged everything in the room except the amps.
5. Used an Ebtech Hum X ground loop exterminator between the amp and the power outlet.
6. Used a Furman PTS-8 strip to plug the amps into.
7. Used a power outlet tester on all the outlets in the basement. They all tested as properly grounded.
8. Tried turning off multiple appliances in the house.
9. Tried using the ground lift in a Radial A/B/Y switcher but it only made the noise worse.

Here's a video of what it sounds like through the Twin. It gets louder when I move the guitar closer to the amp and much louder when I turn on any effects, especially drives or a Digitech Drop. You can still faintly hear it when I turn the volume all the way down. It gets really loud when you turn on the SD-1, and it rises in pitch. (I just added the SD-1 in to show you what it sounds like. I still get the hum without the pedal in the chain.)

https://i.imgur.com/U9RtJFz.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/qmXjLsy.mp4

I'm really at a loss and super frustrated. The interference, especially with pedals, makes my rig unplayable. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I experienced this same thing. After going completely bonkers for a week, I found it was from florescent light bulbs (E-Light) my wife put in the ceiling. Switched out all lights in the playroom to incandescent, problem solved.

If you grab an Electroharmonix Hum Debugger, that noise will disappear immediately.

EHX.com | Hum Debugger - Hum Eliminator | Electro-Harmonix

https://www.ehx.com/products/hum-debugger

I have had that problem forever. for me its the power at my house and the famous 60 cycle hum. the SECOND I engage the pedal, its back to complete and awesome silence.

HellraiserJohnny":2rf4ruof said:
I experienced this same thing. After going completely bonkers for a week, I found it was from florescent light bulbs (E-Light) my wife put in the ceiling. Switched out all lights in the playroom to incandescent, problem solved.

I installed a motion light outside at our old spot, and it was the only thing on my circuit for my guitar gear at the time, and I had a hard time figuring out.

I couldn't figure out at night why I was getting hum and buzz so bad, I couldn't bear to play through it.

I guess when the deer and raccoons first got tired of Lay it Down after 3 hours they'd get conditioned to the fact that it would stop if they would move around near the light. Eventually it was after 15 minutes almost every time through october/november, and it was driving me insane LOL.

Dimmers, motion lights, and other stuff in the circuit are all things to be aware of in your crib :gethim:

I mentioned loose ground because i installed a new pickup in a guitar, and there was a cold solder joint, and it would drive me bonkers as well. All things to be aware of.

Back