Wiring a Series Box ?

I have as of 3 weeks ago got my new PRS MT-15 amp and want to run 2 separate 8 ohm speakers into it but that would be 16 ohms total wired in Series and the amp has only 1-16 ohm jack,and 2 8 ohm jacks for Parallel,so I contacted a friend of mine that builds amps for himself and some of his friends and asked him if he could let me know how to make/wire a Series box up,so he sent me an email with a basic series wiring picture with 2 speakers,and it looked easy.
Basically its just 1 wire that goes from one of the jacks I plan to use for the speaker jacks to the other jack going to be used for the 2nd speaker,then 1 wire from the ground of 1 of the jacks mentioned to the main/3rd jacks ground used for the main jack that goes into the amps 16 ohm jack,then 1 wire from the opposite speaker jacks Hot lug to the main jack used for the amps connection..that should be it,it makes a loop.
I wired it like this,series wiring using the 2 jacks in place of actual speakers and only got sound out of 1 speaker.
I have re-done this 4 times now with other new jacks and wires and still the same..anybody here have knowledge how to make a simple Series box ? I am using an effects pedal box for the enclosure and 3 1/4" switchcraft jacks with speaker wire I have used in the past that is good..any info greatly appreciated..I do not want to make a 2-12" cabinet,just 2 single speakers in home made boxes.

I’m having trouble parsing what you said about how you wired it.

For a series box you’ll want 3 jacks in a box. Your ‘in’ jack (which plugs into 16 ohm tap on your head), ‘speaker 1’ jack, and ‘speaker 2’ jack.

+ terminal on ‘in’ jack goes to + terminal on ‘speaker 1’ jack.

- terminal on ‘speaker 1’ jack goes to + on ‘speaker 2’ jack.

- on ‘speaker 2’ jack goes to - on ‘in’ jack.

Don’t use a metal box with uninsulated jacks, or all - terminals will be connected together, and the + terminal of ‘speaker 1’ will effectively be shorted out to its own - terminal. Use either insulated jacks, or a plastic box. Also don’t unplug one speaker or you’ll have an open load. (Unless you use a switching jack for ‘speaker 2’ jack).

Looks like my mistake is speaker 1 going to speaker 2 jack.looks like you have put speaker 1 jack+ goes to speaker jack 2+,if thats correct thats my mistake,I put speaker 1 + to speaker 2 - .
I did use an effects pedal box,Aluminum so I guess thats wrong too..I sent it to my friend who is supposed to make it right for me..we shall see..
I like this information and will make the proper changes unless my friend already did them.

mnemonic":3qbvxr6b said:

For a series box you’ll want 3 jacks in a box. Your ‘in’ jack (which plugs into 16 ohm tap on your head), ‘speaker 1’ jack, and ‘speaker 2’ jack.

Don’t use a metal box with uninsulated jacks, or all - terminals will be connected together, and the + terminal of ‘speaker 1’ will effectively be shorted out to its own - terminal. Use either insulated jacks, or a plastic box. Also don’t unplug one speaker or you’ll have an open load. (Unless you use a switching jack for ‘speaker 2’ jack).
When you say insulated jacks are you talking about the 2 lug mono jacks that are inclosed in black housing or the Neutrik 2 pole horizontal 1/4" jacks with 2 solder lugs,both of these panel mount,non pcb mount ? I have looked on Google and thats what I have come up with.or I can use a plastic box but like the insulated jacks idea the best.

riffermadness":22d4c6aq said:
mnemonic":22d4c6aq said:

When you say insulated jacks are you talking about the 2 lug mono jacks that are inclosed in black housing or the Neutrik 2 pole horizontal 1/4" jacks with 2 solder lugs,both of these panel mount,non pcb mount ? I have looked on Google and thats what I have come up with.or I can use a plastic box but like the insulated jacks idea the best.

Jacks that look like these:

EC2-D3962-91-D1-4475-80-A1-931-AE00-D57-F6.jpg

0983-BF9-A-0-D21-4-BCB-BE92-4-C15-B3-DF75-EE.jpg

Notice the threaded bit that goes though the box is plastic, not metal.

This type won’t work:

0-EA0-C2-C8-E579-4206-BD70-6-F58739-B7-B28.jpg

Since the part that screws into the case is metal and is attached to the sleeve contact. So the sleeve of your jack is connected to the enclosure. If you have multiple jacks on the box, all the sleeves/grounds are connected. This is fine for a parallel box and most effects pedals, but not a series box, because of the way you need to hook it up.

Edit: this picture may make things easier to understand. Picture is always better than words.

E82-B1692-BF7-D-4-A21-8-DA7-C86-E4-ED149-C0.jpg

Back