German Floyd Rose frustration

SQUAREHEAD

OK,
I have a German Floyd Rose, brand new, on an alder body strat shape guitar,
The Floyd has the big brass block and I have it stopped in the back with FU stopper so it only goes down.
When I let the bar down and then bring it back up it stops and sets tightly against the stopper, but everything goes Sharp... then, if I bend any given string, that particular string goes flat…
Everything is tightened properly, the nut is also brand new, everything is at perfect angles that I can see… I own six guitars with German Floyd Rose trems ( all set up this way ) and I’ve never had this problem…
Anybody that could give me some advice, I would sure appreciate it! I am certainly missing something here…
Hope you guys are having a great weekend,
Keith

Attachments

• 88B0707D-5A18-41C8-AE1A-286C6607EE6A.jpeg
    88B0707D-5A18-41C8-AE1A-286C6607EE6A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 728
  • BDA9645B-F2B5-4DCA-B6CE-AD1C46C254E8.jpeg
    BDA9645B-F2B5-4DCA-B6CE-AD1C46C254E8.jpeg
    910 KB · Views: 727
splatter":3i5ccedt said:
sounds like the locking nut isn't tight. I mean the nut itself may need to be tightened to the neck

My thoughts exactly. If not it's a quick thing to check.

Does the radius on the nut match the neck? That could be an issue.

Not really sure but I though I had chimed in on this in a past post, for what it's worth, I too have a ton of original Floyd's and have seen plenty of issues. Not all are easily solved depending on the installation.

Yes, as others have said, check the nut to be sure it's locking properly. If that has been done and not fixed the issue . . . I'm just looking at the picture(s) you posted and I immediately see 2 issues . . . .

1 - The Bridge post that I can see (Top) is clearly moving (forward) in the mounting hole (or bushing is bending crooked towards the nut).
2 - The Bridge plate is back-of-center (out-of-balance) which is pulling the strings sharp when the should be going back to 0. It's only a little but a little can cause exactly what your describing.

As for #1 - Unless the holes are drilled oval instead of round, there is clearly more space behind the stud than in front of it in relation to the bushing hole itself in the body of the guitar. Really would not know how to resolve this if this is in fact what I am seeing. Other than to plug with hardwood and re-drill or use oversized bushings, that's no easy fix.

#2 - Back the tremolo claw springs out 1\2 or 3\4 of a turn and re-tune. Be sure that bridge plate is dead level and parallel to the body at the front (stud)and back (End of saddles) and you should be better (provided #1 is addressed or some type of photo illusion).

If all other troubleshooting has not resolved the issue I would look into trying what I pointed out and check those studs to ensure they are not moving under tension.

PS: Please look at strait lines added on photo.

Attachments

• Floyd Issue.jpg
    Floyd Issue.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 305
  • Floyd Issue.jpg
    Floyd Issue.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 306
Back