Fill in a guitar nut slot.

thiswaythatway

I have a guitar that the A was buzzing a bit much when played open to the point it was bothering me. Put a set of 10-52's same thing, adjusted truss rod, same thing. So I stuck a small piece of paper under the string in the nut slot and problem solved. What do techs use to fill it up just a little to raise the string height? Krazy Glue and baking soda? I've seen a lot of home remedies.

This is exactly what happened to me over the past couple of days. Bought a guitar on ebay. Nut slot for the A string is cut too low and it buzzes on an open note. I put on a higher gauge string and the same thing happens. I am probably going to try the backing soda and super glue method for now. If that doesn't work out I'll try a new nut.

slaveunit":2ckedzu9 said:
This is exactly what happened to me over the past couple of days. Bought a guitar on ebay. Nut slot for the A string is cut too low and it buzzes on an open note. I put on a higher gauge string and the same thing happens. I am probably going to try the backing soda and super glue method for now. If that doesn't work out I'll try a new nut.
Think about it, by going to a higher gauge string doesn’t change the distance from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string. That’s already determined by the nut slot. If anything a larger string is going to vibrate more causing a worse buzz.

psychodave":cuzuakim said:
Krazy glue and baking soda works really well.

I gave it a shot and worked perfect. I let it dry for a while but that mixture of Krazy Glue and Backing Soda turns into a brick in just a few minutes. At first the string sat a bit high. I was changing strings and took the old A string and used it like a file and took the height of the slot down a little and that worked ok. I think this trick is easier to do on the lower strings, it might be tougher on the E,B,G to get the height just right.

Baking soda does work good. Another option is remove nut and put shim made from a playing card under nut. Two micro drops of glue to hold shim down and a couple more drops to hold nut to shim. Of course this raises all six strings so may need to fine tune slot depths but you need to file anyway when usin baking soda method.

I use a thin sheet of stainless steel, i may be nuts but it sounds better than a piece of paper or cardboard.

I used a small piece of cardboard when I switched the stock nut out to a tusq nut in an 80 Greco LP. I filed it a little too far and needed a shim..worked great.

Back