Good amp biasing kit for novice

SeismicDispatch

I would like the ability to service my own tube amps, mostly just change the tubes for tonal purposes. I don't own any bias tools yet. What is a good kit that will make it easy for a novice? Thanks

A bias probe and a meter are all ya need. I grabbed a probe from Eurotubes years ago and it's easy peasy to bias with it and a multimeter.

I would either get a digital multimeter OR get a Eurotubes bias probe. Not both. If all you're doing is biasing, then you really only need one or the other. If the amp you're biasing doesn't have 1 ohm resistors on the power tube cathodes, then a digital multimeter won't really be useful, considering you're a novice and probably won't want to get into the other methods of biasing. So... that said... get the Eurotubes "Pro One" bias probe. It will show you plate voltage and plate current at the same time. Easy.

FourT6and2":c50rsktq said:
I would either get a digital multimeter OR get a Eurotubes bias probe. Not both. If all you're doing is biasing, then you really only need one or the other. If the amp you're biasing doesn't have 1 ohm resistors on the power tube cathodes, then a digital multimeter won't really be useful, considering you're a novice and probably won't want to get into the other methods of biasing. So... that said... get the Eurotubes "Pro One" bias probe. It will show you plate voltage and plate current at the same time. Easy.

The probe I bought from them is just an octal socket so both are needed there.

MetalHeadMike":3hi3hrv1 said:
FourT6and2":3hi3hrv1 said:

The probe I bought from them is just an octal socket so both are needed there.

OP doesn't need to buy both a DMM and a Pro One. If he buys a dummy socket, then sure... he'll need a meter to plug it into. The benefit of the Pro One, though, is it shows you both plate voltage and plate current at the same time. But sure, the dummy socket is cheaper. Just use it with a good meter (like a Fluke).

I went all out with the weber 4 tube probe one. Takes no time at all. Much more expensive, but if you are screwing around a lot its worth every nickel.

Back