Speaker wiring clarification

cameron711

Hi! I have 2x12 cab that I am going to put a two vintage 30s rated at 60 watt each...16ohm wired in parallel to make it 8ohm...I just want to confirm that it’s ok to use it with a 100w tube head impedance matched?

Last question: I have an Ampete 444 and I have two 16 ohm cabs and 1 8ohm cab...Ampete says it doesn’t matter what ohm you select on amp and on cab even if they are mismatched...any recs?

cameron711":1euy8px9 said:
Last question: I have an Ampete 444 and I have two 16 ohm cabs and 1 8ohm cab...Ampete says it doesn’t matter what ohm you select on amp and on cab even if they are mismatched...any recs?

I'm not familiar with the Ampete device.

cameron711":3rtzxqcb said:
Hi! I have 2x12 cab that I am going to put a two vintage 30s rated at 60 watt each...16ohm wired in parallel to make it 8ohm...I just want to confirm that it’s ok to use it with a 100w tube head impedance matched?

Depends which 100w amp (Plexi, JCM 800, what?) in my experience, and what volume you run it at. Marshalls are rated less than what they put out, typically, so it matters.

And don't forget once you kick on your pedals, the signal increases and the speakers get that bump, too. I say this as I'm reconing an alnico blue to 65w 8 ohm spec that was in a Tweed Deluxe clone, and got killed in short order. Tweed clone is supposed to be 15w, but reality is that it's 22w clean, probably 30w cranked (if not more, depends on the biasing, etc). Then if you kick on an OD pedal, boost or fuzz...well, then you have a warped/fried voice coil and your amp sounds like a buzz saw.

But if you keep your 100w amp below 5, don't go nuts with boosts, then you'll "probably" be ok with two V30's.

Just my .02 based on client's experiences.

Would be Friedman small box, dirty Shirley and be100...none of them does the volume go abouve 3 because my ears can’t do it! Thanks for the info! I need some scumbacks! Since you mentioned what combo would you recommend for a metropoulos metroplex I have coming my way this week!?

Noting another factor, i am a firm believer in soldering the speaker terminals and Jack. Those little fittings could easily rattle off. I don't trust them. Maybe I am paranoid, but that is what I have done in every cab I own.

cameron711":23vfowhy said:
Thanks for the info! I need some scumbacks! Since you mentioned what combo would you recommend for a metropoulos metroplex I have coming my way this week!?

Depends what you need tonewise from the Metroplex, but most have been happy with the M75-PVC 65w for the old school classis/hard rock tones.

If you're doing something different with it, then it's time to fill out my recommendation form.

http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/recommend.html

Back